Meet my new betta!

Gwenz

I just bought a new betta. He is swimming around a lot more than Flash did, and is investigating everything in the tank

Here is a pic of him.

Gwenz ;D

P.S. - I can't think of a name for him. Any ideas?

poefox

I like the name "Mr Shiny" myself. The lower picture shows a really nice sheen on his fins. Good luck and enjoy, Gwenz.

Miss Mouse

!very handsome chap Gwenz!

divakeeks

HE IS GORGEOUS!!!!

He looks a lot like my Jesse who passed! I really do enjoy the veiltail as well (that is what he looks like anyway).

Since he is investigating you could call him "Inspector Gadget" Then he could have his own theme song and everything!

Or you could call him Reluire which is "shine" in French. (Sorry, I love the French language!!)

Craig

I would Call him "CRAZY SHABBA!" lol! what a name!!!

C W

Gwenz

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

divakeeks said:
HE IS GORGEOUS!!!!   

He looks a lot like my Jesse who passed!  I really do enjoy the veiltail as well (that is what he looks like anyway). 

Since he is investigating you could call him "Inspector Gadget"    Then he could have his own theme song and everything!

Or you could call him Reluire which is "shine" in French.     (Sorry, I love the French language!!)
I also like the French language ;D (I just learnt a new word!! ) I started learning french this year for GCSE. I also learn spanish (been doing it 4 years), I could call him Lustroso - Shiny in Spanish!! Or just Shiny. What do you think?

Gwenz

P.S. - My mum suggested I should call him "Inspector Gadget"!

inari

why don't u try calling him 'shiny' in Tia if I remeber correctly that is where they are from but I happen to like the oreintal languages myself japanese, korean, ect

0morrokh

I think Lustroso is a great name. All my Bettas get Spanish names. He is so beautiful! I can't believe how much he looks like my Luna did...

chickadee

He looks just like my Azul (blue in Spanish ). I love the veiltails too and wish I still had one but sadly couldn't face one after I lost Azul.

He is so beautiful and all the names suggested are great. I do love the Inspector Gadget idea since he is so curious and you could shorten it to Gadget.

Congratulations on the beautiful betta and welcome to the new little guy. Let us know who he is when you decide.

Rose

Gwenz

I think I'll call him Gadget!

I tried feeding him this morning. I got him some "King British Tropical minI pelets". He tried one and ate it, so I gave him another one which he tried but then he spat it out and swam to the other side of the tank as if he was scared of it! How do I know if he likes them or not? What should I do if he doesn't??

Gwenz

Isabella

Gwenz ... that's such a cute betta ;D !!!

Gwenz

Thanks Isabella.

I can't help worry why he isn't eating. He'll chase the food but won't eat it. What should I do?

Gwenz

inari

InarI and TenshI both did that when I first got them, TenshI started eating after a day or so, and InarI it took about two weeks before he even looked at the food. InarI is fine now and he loves his pellets infact when I get up from my desk he gets all excited thinking its time to eat I would give him about a week or so and see if he eats if not maybe try another food?? what do the moderators think?

inari

as a side note tho TenshI has passed on...but InarI is doing much better!

Gwenz

I'm sorry about Tenshi.

Thanks inari. I'll wait a few days to see how he does then.

Gwenz

fish_r_friend

I love the color of gaget thanks for shareing

chickadee

Gwenz-

The easiest way to determine what your bettas will eat at least to start out is to ask at the store what they have been feeding them. They may not know much about the fish but they have been feeding them. Unless they tell you that they have been giving them wafer or flake food, you can probably use the same thing that they did. I would be very surprised to find that he would eat the first thing he was given. Bettas are very picky eaters and are such pills when it comes to eating what is offered. I am sorry to say, there is no answer other than to either feed him what he is used to or just keep trying to find something he will eat. You can try bloodworms (freeze - dried) if he won't eat the pellets. Most bettas will eat them. Please let us know how things are going.

Rose
???

Gwenz

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Gadget died last night.  :'(

I don't know what to do. Gadget and Flash have both died. I don't know if I should try again.  :-\ :'(

Gwenz :'(

inari

I'm so sorry gwenz that is horrible I would say try again they are wonderful fish but still that is horrible I would talk to the store u got him from

leafgirl115

Maby try a diferent store
Just a sugestion don't name your fish until after a couple of weeks this helps a lot if you loose them....

inari

Yeah it does help if u keep them for a bit before you name them. I would also raise some h*** at the store u bought gadget at I would be ************ mad if that happened to me see what you can do nothing can replace the part of your heart that Gadget lived in but it might help you get something for another fish....

chickadee

Oh I am so sorry, Gwenz. It is so hard to lose you little friends. I do not think I would ever go back to that store except to tell them that the fish died and you want them to return the money you spent on him. I would not take another fish from them. There is evidently something something wrong with the fish that are being sold at that store.

You have my sympathies. I do hope though that you decide to try again when you are feeling a bit better. You will make a really good Betta mommy and this is not the best time for you to make any permanent decisions. Just please wait a little while and see how you feel. Many decisions made in haste are regretted later.

Rose
:'(

inari

Very true I would hate to see you or anyone else regret not getting one of these little swimming ppl....that's really what they are little swimming ppl they each have their own personality huh who knew... sorry either way u have my sympathies

Gwenz

Thanks everyone I will wait a while before getting another one.

Gwenz

ecnaj143

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel, we all do. Hope you feel better soon.

Gwenz

Thanks for the support.

Gwenz

inari

I know exactly how it is to lose one so close after a purchase I lost tenshI not even two weeks after I got her and it still hurt.. Again you have my sympathies

leafgirl115

I lost 3 little bettas over a month. That's was the worst thing that ever happened. its taken me a year to get over it but I think I'm going to try bettas again. Every one is diferent it took me a year it may take you a month Again I'm sory for your lost.

inari

Like I keep reading bettas are very hardy fish and if they die right after u get them from the pet store I would say there was more wrong than meets the eye u can't blame yourself tho it is tough good luck i'm sure u'll make a wonderful caretaker for anyfish u have!!

leafgirl115

I have more lucke with platies, mollies, and guppys. They are really the first fish I have bean able to keep.

inari

well its good to hear that u have some luck with other fish so it can't be u that the problem lies in......

leafgirl115

O I know it was not me. The first betta I had lasted like 2 days the next 1. THe last betta I had was with me for lets say a month. But I think I killed the tast one. During one of his waterchanges he fought the net and I think he some how broke his back....

Do you guys use nets?

inari

yeah I do I used to use my hands until my female betta damaged her gills and died during a water change

InarI hates the net but he knows he'll be fine once he's out idk how to tell u catch them besides just do it sorry

SunnShadow

Gwenz said:
Thanks everyone I will wait a while before getting another one.

Gwenz
Gwenz......
Just a tip for when you decide to find another Betta:
First, consider trying a different LFS or maybe even ordering from a breeder on the internet.
Second, look for a Betta with a straight back and dark eyes. Maybe even one with shorter fins. This is the key to finding a younger fish. Then, make sure it is active and healthy looking. I keep hearing that many of the Bettas in shops are older, but I often find younger males at both my LFS and Walmart. Both of my current Bettas were young when I brought them home (Floyd is still an "adolescent" and changing every day), and so was Fred, who lived to be over 2 years old.
Anyway, I don't think it is anything you are doing that caused your Bettas to die, I think they were perhaps older and maybe sick when you bought them.
Maybe you could let the tank cycle for several weeks (or until it is totally cycled again), put in an African Dwarf Frog or a few cories, wait another week, and then find your next Betta.
I lost four female Bettas in my 20 gallon once, due to a spike in the ammonia level...... being anabantoids, I think they are affected by ammonia much more than other fish. Ammonia burns the labbyrinth (sp?), thus making it harder for them to breathe..........

Sorry for rambling on like that. I hope I helped you even a little.

S.

chickadee

It is very true that the Bettas do not handle any ammonia or nitrite well. None of the labyrinth fishes do. I believe it has something to do with the fact that they have the dual breathing system of both gills and the labyrinth organ and their gills burn very easily. You need to take your time and make sure your tank is completely cycled (which I know you did)

Gwenz

SunnShadow said:
Gwenz......
  Just a tip for when you decide to find another Betta:
First, consider trying a different LFS or maybe even ordering from a breeder on the internet.
Second, look for a Betta with a straight back and dark eyes.  Maybe even one with shorter fins.  This is the key to finding a younger fish.  Then, make sure it is active and healthy looking......
....Maybe you could let the tank cycle for several weeks (or until it is totally cycled again), put in an African Dwarf Frog or a few cories, wait another week, and then find your next Betta....

S.
Thanks for the tips. There is another fish store that I don't often go to because it is about 35 minuets drive from where I live, but they have a great selection of fish, and they are all treated very well. I might go there to get my betta from there when I'm ready. That is the only fish store near me that sells female bettas and male bettas. I might have a better choice there too. I have been looking on the internet but I can't seem to find anywhere that will ship to UK or they are like £30 per fish + postage (too much!! )

S. - I have been putting the betta in a Q tank until the main one is cycled. When it is cycled I will put some panda corries in there first and then introduce the betta a couple of weeks later.

Thanks again

Gwenz

leafgirl115

That sound like a great plan Gwenz

ecnaj143

Skylar just sits there and lets the net take him, then when I put him back in the water, he just swims out like noghting happened.

leafgirl115

could I use a little bowl instead of the net? I think that what ill do

ecnaj143

I guess, might be the same as using a big glass.

inari

I don't know about most bettas but InarI hates it when it comes to full water changes 'cause I have to remove him from his bowl (soon to be tank) he fights like there is not tomorrow when he sees me remove the plants so he can't hide he flares up and i'm sure if he could he would flip me off with his little fine lol anyway I think it just the personality of ur betta some don't mind it others absolutely hate with it passion

But the glass or cup would work too its just it can be tough to get them in to the glass unless the are cornored 'cause ur betta my not like the idea and on the other hand he may so it's worth a shot really

chickadee

I do not understand what you all are doing taking your bettas out of the water and putting them somewhere else to change the water. Leave them in their bowls or tanks or whatever and quit stressing the poor little things for heaven's sake. They can handle being in the water and you should never have to change more than 75% of the water even in an unfiltered bowl. It is so much less likely to hurt the betta being in the bowl/tank and having to stay out of your way than to be netted or grabbed or chased all over being captured. PLEASE leave them in their homes and change the water around them.

Rose

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom