Meet My Multis

1. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

For those who didn't read my other thread, I suddenly had the opportunity to get Neolamprologus Multifasciatus MUCH sooner than I intended. It was a mad scramble to set up the tank. I was suppose to pick them up tomorrow night at 7:00, but got a text this morning asking if I could pick them up today. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways. I was trying to overcome a breeder's pH of 6.0 and bring them up to the level of my 8.0 pH. It took over 7 1/2 hours! I never would have been able to do it if I had gotten them home at 8:30 tomorrow night.
    The tank was just sanded yesterday and while it looked clear, it was considerably more cloudy this morning. I had to throw my diatomaceous earth filter in it to try to clear it a little. I am concerned as to why it got cloudier that it was when I first finished sanding the bottom.
    Their shells won't be here until Tuesday so I'm hoping the rock will make them a little more comfortable.
    They have a lot to overcome with the large pH difference and everything else. Please keep my cuties in your thoughts and wish us luck. IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2164.JPG [/ATTACH] [/ATTACH]

Ugh...I've got flashing going on.

Attached Files:

2. april_fish Member Member

They are beautiful! What size is your tank? One of my dream fish is a shell dwelling cichilid!

3. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Nice tank! I always wanted a tank like that.

4. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

You're reminding me yet again why I'm going to need like five 10 gallon tanks one day along with my 20L, 40B (empty right now), and 75 I hope to one day get.

5. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

It's a twenty long. I've wanted them for a while and have had the tank sitting empty since the PetCo $1 a gallon sale. I planned on trying to get them late fall or winter if I could find them. (Everyone seems to have a waiting list at the moment.) So when I saw this young man's ad on a local cichlid club's page, I called right away figuring this was my chance. I got the last of the fish he was willing to part with.
    They seem to be doing okay this morning. They are out in the open, swimming all over, moving sand to make little nitches against the rocks.
    I'm still seeing flashing so I'm off as soon as my LFS opens to get praziquantel to treat the flukes they appear to have. I'll breathe a lot easier after 3 or 4 days if they are still doing well.
    I'll take new pictures after my shells come in and the tank looks as it should.

6. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I get REALLY mixed up on which shellie is which. Not sure which one you have. I said 10 gallon earlier because I was told that I could start with a pair of some kind of multi, and they would breed as long as there was stocking room.

7. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

You can keep a pair of shellies in a ten gallon! I have what most people call Multis. They are the smallest I believe, But they are not really that small.

8. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Oh. Well then I may never do shellies. I was thinking I could get up to 4-6 in a 10 gallon. The idea of having a whole tank set up for one little pair of fish seems boring. Not to mention ridiculous.

9. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I think you can be fine with 4-6 in a 10 gallon. Just need to keep on top of water changes. Other shell dwellers will be too big for that many in a 10 gallon tank.

10. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

You said start with a pair. lol. (Most people start with one male and 3 or 4 females if they have a ten gallon.)

11. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Oh. Well then. See how easily I get confused with stocking?

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

awesome!

13. BettaPonic Member Member

May I ask where you got them?

14. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I saw an ad on the Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Club page when I was looking into a swap meet. I did not know how old the ad was but I called anyway. The young man was willing to sell me some. I was led to believe I got the last of what he was willing to thin out. I may be wrong.

15. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Thanks for posting - they look great! Best of luck with them!

16. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Well...what do we have here? Finally!
    Maybe they will stop digging under the granite and trying to kill themselves. IMG_2165.JPG

17. DIYhack Initiate Member

I'm jelly! I want a multi tank!

Take an after pic after they get settled.

18. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I will! Everything came in today even though the hood and the heater were not suppose to be in until Thursday. Those are already installed and the back-ups put in their places.
    I'm going to breathe a little easier tonight because they have been digging under the granite and already managed to move the two second largest pieces. I was worried about them being crushed. I'm sure once the shells are boiled and in, the granite moving will stop.

19. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

The entire dynamic of this tank changed after the shells were added! It is absolutely fascinating and I feel blessed to witness the interactions. I will keep this thread updated for those of you who are interested. IMG_2169.JPG

20. Deaddawg Member Member

I just bid on 6 multis and won on aquabid. $81.00 total + shipping. Dave's rare fish always has them listed for sale and you can call wetspot to see if they have them.