Meet My Friday The 13th Betta 'rescue' - Jv ;)

PiscesSplendens

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone! I have been delightfully checking out these forums and website the last number of weeks through my research into aquatic topics online and in particular, betta care... and have finally decided to make my first post about my first little fishy friend in well over 10 years!

Say 'hi' to Jason... Jason Voorhees... or Mr. J or JV for short As you might well have guessed the reasons for my naming him so, I have to point out that I didn't realize that it in fact WAS Friday the 13th that day until I brought him home and considered what to name him later that night. For the record, I am not exactly obsessed with those movies and characters, but I have always loved the horror genre in general, am rather geeky to begin with and thought, 'well hey, he's a boy fishy, so why not, right!?', and NOT naming him Jason considering the day I found him at my LFS would have bugged me, so I figured his naming was 'all meant to be' :smug:

JV-third-day-April-15th.jpg

The above picture was JV on day 3 after coming home... let's just say he's been thoroughly enjoying a planted, 3.5 gal filtered tank (and now recently a heater!) compared to the small, tightly lidded plastic container he was surviving in at my LFS... with blue tinted water, apparently being treated for finrot or simply his torn fin... the 10-12 other bettas at the store were also being treated as well in their little containers... Friday the 13th was clearly a lucky day for this betta!

This next picture is Mr. J only 6 days into his new abode... his color had brightened and his head has gotten darker, plus he's shown some new fin growth on his bottom fin as well as some new general growth all around, especially his bottom dorsal fins Is it just me or does anyone else think his top fin was ripped off at some point? I notice an interesting line that looks like it was regrown in the past, but hard to say or know for sure... if his bottom fin being ripped is any indication, than odds are, yes...

JV-first-week-new-fin-regrowth-April-18th.jpg

Here's a grand view of his 'aquatic mansion' as of the last week...

3.5aquariumscapeedited.jpg

I decorated his home mostly with beautiful natural river stones I gathered from the mountain valleys of Georgia and another piece from Colorado, plus some plants: narrow leaf java fern, java moss, and some water sprite. Oh yea, and an almond leaf

Here's one last picture of his fin regrowth at 10 days... his new orange color was slowly starting to come in a few days prior to this photo. You can also see clearer parts on the edges of his tail fin in particular where he's gotten some more growth.

JV-second-week-fin-regrowth-April-23rd.jpg

All in all, I made sure to do frequent partial water changes since the setup of the tank to keep the the water parameters in check while the tank cycled (yes, with Mr. J in it, but have been using added beneficial bacteria daily, testing for ammonia levels, ph, etc, plus have some established biomedia in some other tanks that I transferred to help his tank along)... frankly, considering he was in my eyes somewhat of a rescue at the time, I figured he'd do alright with what circumstances I was going to set him up in overall when all was said and done. Considering how fast he's colored up and how fast his fins have grown back, think he's well on his way to shear betta bliss!

Here's one last pic of Jason hunting a few days ago... I love his feathertail, general coloring/pattern and overall smaller size to him at the moment... I hope he'll get a little bigger in time (fins and bodywise), he seems somewhat juvenile or young adult, though it could be genetics from what I've read.

JV-stalking-striking-a-pose.jpg

As for food, he's been enjoying Fluval's new 'bug bites' betta formula (I really like the ingredients, very wholesome it seems) and this last week I got some frozen bloodworms as supplemental food and snacks. He even got to enjoy a baby cherry shrimp last night that didn't make it from my bf's rescape of his 6.5 gal cherry shrimp tank... actually a number of them didn't make it and I released about 4-5 extremely tiny fellows in total into Mr. J's abode for added fun and hunting adventure...

And if JV needs a pal he can't hunt but perhaps steal food from occasionally, lol... he's recently got a little brown stripped mystery snail as a friend as well

I've named the snail 'Crazy' Ralph! :wacky:

JV-who-is-this-part2.jpg

As you can see and probably tell by my long post, I've been thoroughly enamored by my new betta!!

I hope to further update JV's fin regrowth with pictures in the future, as I haven't seen many good photos online or in these forums in general of fin regrowth after finrot or other damage.

Thanks everyone for reading and taking a look at my new aquatic friends, Jason and Ralph!!

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
He's beautiful! I definitely noticed his color improved drastically and his weight as well to a more fuller and healthier appearance within such a short time of being with you! I'm glad you are taking really great care of him, I have a betta I rescued too and it's always a fun process to watch them improve into more beautiful bettas once they are cared for properly! Great work and keep it up and he will most likely live a long lifespan: )

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubby says it’s a beauty! You’ve brought Jason a long way already. Keep posting progress pics. I love it. Almost like an audiobook. Long is good for me.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awww, JV is beautiful! As I recently acquired my first betta, I completely understand how enamored you are with him. I very much enjoyed your story too! I've had my baby Sam for almost 4 months now, and I just can't get over his beauty and personality, and he's changed so much too. When I saw your first picture of JV, he almost reminded me of Sam. Coloration isn't too far off anyhow.

Since we're on the same page here, I hope you won't mind me sharing pics on your thread. Here's a couple of my boy, who's official name is Uncle Sam since he was red, white and blue...hehe, but now he's red, white and black. The first pic is when he came home with us, the second pic is now, and third is Sam's aquatic mansion.
20180127_201954.jpg 20180421_090844.jpg 20180406_080419_HDR.jpg

Welcome to Fishlore! Your first post is a great one, so please keep it up. I can't wait to see how JV looks in a month or two.

Edit: I forgot to say how much I love JV's name! Let me say again, I loved reading your story. You set the perfect scene and I can imagine myself doing things the same way. I love horror flicks too.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PiscesSplendens said:
Hi everyone! I have been delightfully checking out these forums and website the last number of weeks through my research into aquatic topics online and in particular, betta care... and have finally decided to make my first post about my first little fishy friend in well over 10 years!

Say 'hi' to Jason... Jason Voorhees... or Mr. J or JV for short As you might well have guessed the reasons for my naming him so, I have to point out that I didn't realize that it in fact WAS Friday the 13th that day until I brought him home and considered what to name him later that night. For the record, I am not exactly obsessed with those movies and characters, but I have always loved the horror genre in general, am rather geeky to begin with and thought, 'well hey, he's a boy fishy, so why not, right!?', and NOT naming him Jason considering the day I found him at my LFS would have bugged me, so I figured his naming was 'all meant to be' :smug:

View attachment 432944

The above picture was JV on day 3 after coming home... let's just say he's been thoroughly enjoying a planted, 3.5 gal filtered tank (and now recently a heater!) compared to the small, tightly lidded plastic container he was surviving in at my LFS... with blue tinted water, apparently being treated for finrot or simply his torn fin... the 10-12 other bettas at the store were also being treated as well in their little containers... Friday the 13th was clearly a lucky day for this betta!

This next picture is Mr. J only 6 days into his new abode... his color had brightened and his head has gotten darker, plus he's shown some new fin growth on his bottom fin as well as some new general growth all around, especially his bottom dorsal fins Is it just me or does anyone else think his top fin was ripped off at some point? I notice an interesting line that looks like it was regrown in the past, but hard to say or know for sure... if his bottom fin being ripped is any indication, than odds are, yes...

View attachment 432949

Here's a grand view of his 'aquatic mansion' as of the last week...

View attachment 432955

I decorated his home mostly with beautiful natural river stones I gathered from the mountain valleys of Georgia and another piece from Colorado, plus some plants: narrow leaf java fern, java moss, and some water sprite. Oh yea, and an almond leaf

Here's one last picture of his fin regrowth at 10 days... his new orange color was slowly starting to come in a few days prior to this photo. You can also see clearer parts on the edges of his tail fin in particular where he's gotten some more growth.

View attachment 432957

All in all, I made sure to do frequent partial water changes since the setup of the tank to keep the the water parameters in check while the tank cycled (yes, with Mr. J in it, but have been using added beneficial bacteria daily, testing for ammonia levels, ph, etc, plus have some established biomedia in some other tanks that I transferred to help his tank along)... frankly, considering he was in my eyes somewhat of a rescue at the time, I figured he'd do alright with what circumstances I was going to set him up in overall when all was said and done. Considering how fast he's colored up and how fast his fins have grown back, think he's well on his way to shear betta bliss!

Here's one last pic of Jason hunting a few days ago... I love his feathertail, general coloring/pattern and overall smaller size to him at the moment... I hope he'll get a little bigger in time (fins and bodywise), he seems somewhat juvenile or young adult, though it could be genetics from what I've read.

View attachment 432969

As for food, he's been enjoying Fluval's new 'bug bites' betta formula (I really like the ingredients, very wholesome it seems) and this last week I got some frozen bloodworms as supplemental food and snacks. He even got to enjoy a baby cherry shrimp last night that didn't make it from my bf's rescape of his 6.5 gal cherry shrimp tank... actually a number of them didn't make it and I released about 4-5 extremely tiny fellows in total into Mr. J's abode for added fun and hunting adventure...

And if JV needs a pal he can't hunt but perhaps steal food from occasionally, lol... he's recently got a little brown stripped mystery snail as a friend as well

I've named the snail 'Crazy' Ralph! :wacky:

View attachment 432976

As you can see and probably tell by my long post, I've been thoroughly enamored by my new betta!!

I hope to further update JV's fin regrowth with pictures in the future, as I haven't seen many good photos online or in these forums in general of fin regrowth after finrot or other damage.

Thanks everyone for reading and taking a look at my new aquatic friends, Jason and Ralph!!
What a gorgeous fish you have! His transformation is awesome. I loved the spunky personalities that my bettas had.

lizcateyes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Handsome fish, he really seems to be coming a long way and happy in your care! Great to see he's got a snail pal, too.

omaia

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Beautiful betta! I like the setup- live plants, decor, and a nice tank (it pains me when people keep bettas in little bowls and whatnot). Also great that he has a snail friend, but that gives me flashbacks to when I turned on my aquarium light one day and found TONS of baby snails everywhere.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Awww, JV is beautiful! As I recently acquired my first betta, I completely understand how enamored you are with him. I very much enjoyed your story too! I've had my baby Sam for almost 4 months now, and I just can't get over his beauty and personality, and he's changed so much too. When I saw your first picture of JV, he almost reminded me of Sam. Coloration isn't too far off anyhow.

Since we're on the same page here, I hope you won't mind me sharing pics on your thread. Here's a couple of my boy, who's official name is Uncle Sam since he was red, white and blue...hehe, but now he's red, white and black. The first pic is when he came home with us, the second pic is now, and third is Sam's aquatic mansion.
View attachment 433007 View attachment 433009View attachment 433012

Welcome to Fishlore! Your first post is a great one, so please keep it up. I can't wait to see how JV looks in a month or two.

Edit: I forgot to say how much I love JV's name! Let me say again, I loved reading your story. You set the perfect scene and I can imagine myself doing things the same way. I love horror flicks too.
I’m so glad you said Sam had red on him. On my screen it evidently looks orange. Hubby is totally Crimson Tide and Auburn colors drive him nuts. I think either way Sam sounds gorgeous! And y’all keep it up. I love the article section on fishlore but there’s a lot of references. I love these long stories. I mean LOVE them. Gave Siri an Australian male voice so it’s even better now.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
I’m so glad you said Sam had red on him. On my screen it evidently looks orange. Hubby is totally Crimson Tide and Auburn colors drive him nuts. I think either way Sam sounds gorgeous! And y’all keep it up. I love the article section on fishlore but there’s a lot of references. I love these long stories. I mean LOVE them. Gave Siri an Australian male voice so it’s even better now.
Ha! Well, we're all about the U, as in UM, but I've also been a Dolfan, (Miami Dolphins fan) my whole life. Let's just say that Nick Saban is NOT loved around here, lol.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Ha! Well, we're all about the U, as in UM, but I've also been a Dolfan, (Miami Dolphins fan) my whole life. Let's just say that Nick Saban is NOT loved around here, lol.
But he’s so cute! That’s what I hear anyway. Plus it’s good to have rivals not like the very best coach ever right? You betcha! He he he.

PiscesSplendens

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BettaNation said:
He's beautiful! I definitely noticed his color improved drastically and his weight as well to a more fuller and healthier appearance within such a short time of being with you! I'm glad you are taking really great care of him, I have a betta I rescued too and it's always a fun process to watch them improve into more beautiful bettas once they are cared for properly! Great work and keep it up and he will most likely live a long lifespan: )
Gypsy13 said:
Hubby says it’s a beauty! You’ve brought Jason a long way already. Keep posting progress pics. I love it. Almost like an audiobook. Long is good for me.
lizcateyes said:
Handsome fish, he really seems to be coming a long way and happy in your care! Great to see he's got a snail pal, too.
LucineT said:
He's such a handsome boy
Thank you and everyone for all the lovely and positive comments on JV's improving health and 'beauty'!! :smuggrin:

He's definitely 'beefed up' in the short amount of time I've had him... with how active he is nearly all the time with 'hunting' and exploring among the plants in his aquarium, I've noticed his lower end of his body near his tail bulk up in some seriously targeted muscle growth in particular as well, lol... and since I first got him his belly is also a slightly more rounded shape. He's not an obnoxious beggar for food and will do a cute tail wag and a stationary flowy dance of sorts to get me to give him yummies, but I have lately during feeding time 'taught' him how to jump up out of the water a little ways to grab his food

My bf, not knowing this fact of late, recently a few days ago just held his finger above the water a much longer distance (further than I do for feeding) randomly a few days ago and was somewhat freaked out when JV apparently jumped up really high out of the water to nip at his finger! I then told him how only the last number of days I'd been feeding him that way primarily, so I was laughing to myself after the mini scare, because his first response was simply, "He jumped out of the water!!" *more than longish pause* - So for a second I was kind of scared and replied, "Like, out of the tank!?" Then he clarified NOT out of the tank - I think he was in slight shock and/or amazement that JV jumped up so high, heheh...

I also have to say his 'snail pal' has grown a lot as well in just barely a week, so fast and quick that I didn't notice just how much til the last few days, in particular today. And boy, do mystery snails like to eat too! :smuggrin:

And yes... this will be a somewhat long thread of JV 'betta love' with updates and pictures galore, so all you forum readers be (hopefully delightfully) forewarned! :joyful:

:emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling: :emoji_fish: Mr. JV
:emoji_snail: 'Crazy' Ralph :emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling::emoji_seedling:

PiscesSplendens

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
stella1979 said:

View attachment 433007 View attachment 433009View attachment 433012

Thank you so much Stella for your reply and sharing your pictures of Sam!! He is truly a stunning display of color and finnage; I am really partial to mustard gas type color patterns, or two tone, especially when orange/yellow and blue mix... though perhaps he's more of a red? On my screen as well Sam looks more of a deep solid orange... either way, considering how hard it is to take good pictures of these guys and how much lighting affects their colors, he looks wonderful regardless... I think most pictures we try and capture don't do these fish 'justice' as I have heard other folks comment about in terms of their own picture taking efforts with these guys. I like how his white parts turned blue, quite a transformation! :woot: Thanks for letting us down, Uncle Sam... jk - he's uber peerrrtttyyy still even if his 'patriotism' is a bit lacking now

I actually read a good chunk of your thread about when you first got Sam and I was amazed at how long it was and how many replies and convo's were going on, heheh... (still have to 'finish' it properly, especially now, lol) I am not familiar with the story of your recent loss from what I gathered from reading what I did on that thread, but I can only imagine how fulfilling having your first betta can be for you now, even after perhaps being into the aquarium hobby for however long; the personalities and utter beauty of nearly all these betta fish is just marvelous and so unique that you have to almost consider them in a class unto themselves. I find them to be like little puppy dogs as some other ppl have posted and commented in these forums, their behaviors are so hilarious indeed...

Thanks again Stella for the warm welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed the beginning of the story of JV!! :mask:

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sam is indeed red to the eye, but I see what you guys mean about him appearing to be dark orange. I don't even notice the struggle with taking accurately colored pictures in freshwater, because I'm always struggling with it under the blue lighting used in saltwater.
Gypsy13 said:
But he’s so cute! That’s what I hear anyway. Plus it’s good to have rivals not like the very best coach ever right? You betcha! He he he.
Indeed, but... Dolfans got their feelings hurt when he swore his coaching loyalty to us one day, telling us he was sticking with the Dolphins and not going to Alabama... then left for Alabama 3 weeks later. Nick Saban's a big fat liar in my book, but then again, Dolfans have been suffering for a long time so it's hard not to be bitter. Does Siri read emojis Gypsy? I wonder because all of this is said sarcastically, and somewhat in jest. No one man is to blame and I'm nearing middle age so still remember the glory days of Shula and Marino. Nothing has been good enough since. Anyway, I suppose that's enough football talk and I need to stop hijacking PiscesSplendens thread, lol.

PiscesSplendens - You had me rollin' with this one... :hilarious:
PiscesSplendens said:
Thanks for letting us down, Uncle Sam... jk - he's uber peerrrtttyyy still even if his 'patriotism' is a bit lacking now
Stick around and keep posting. Before long you'll be amazed at the good friends you'll make here and all the chatter that brings with it.

There's a thread or two about the bad times, but to make a long story short, I'll just say this. The tank was a gift to my then 10-year-old... but it got sick just a few months in and we started losing what would be more than 30 fish. It was quite disheartening, made me very afraid of that tank, and very, very particular about where I buy fish. I now have only one LFS I can trust for freshwater fish and it's a 90-minute drive from my house... totally worth it not to worry so much again though. It's a shame that the freshwater hobby doesn't get more love around here, because I'm covered up in saltwater stores.

Anyhow, I tell you all this because my pleas for help left and right are how I got to know some folks here. Also, I was pretty depressed on the freshwater front for several months, but my first betta brought me right out of that. They truly are special.:joyful: I will very much enjoy following the adventures of JV.

PiscesSplendens

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
stella1979 said:
PiscesSplendens - You had me rollin' with this one... :hilarious:

Stick around and keep posting. Before long you'll be amazed at the good friends you'll make here and all the chatter that brings with it.

There's a thread or two about the bad times, but to make a long story short, I'll just say this. The tank was a gift to my then 10-year-old... but it got sick just a few months in and we started losing what would be more than 30 fish. It was quite disheartening, made me very afraid of that tank, and very, very particular about where I buy fish. I now have only one LFS I can trust for freshwater fish and it's a 90-minute drive from my house... totally worth it not to worry so much again though. It's a shame that the freshwater hobby doesn't get more love around here, because I'm covered up in saltwater stores.

Anyhow, I tell you all this because my pleas for help left and right are how I got to know some folks here. Also, I was pretty depressed on the freshwater front for several months, but my first betta brought me right out of that. They truly are special.:joyful: I will very much enjoy following the adventures of JV.
I'm glad that Sam was able to bring you out of your freshwater emotional funk... losing more than 30 fish would be quite the tragedy for anyone to handle and it's especially disheartening knowing that it was a gift for your 10 yr old kiddo! :wideyed: :jawdrop: :nailbiting: :banghead:... I can surely imagine losing some confidence in trying again for a bit after an event like that!! :bag:

On the positive side, it's great that you have found a LFS for freshwater that you CAN trust now, even though it's quite a bit away , and that you (hopefully) found the help you needed in these forums and met some new friends as well in the process

edit: Oh snap!! You're in FLORIDA, no wonder it's all about the saltwater fish, ****... golly, I can imagine now...

PiscesSplendens

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Time for a mini update!!!

Here's a cute picture I took almost a week ago of JV lounging for a moment on his planted furniture, I just love those marimo moss balls... they remind me of fuzzy bean bags or pillows

JV-lounging-on-mossball-April-27th.jpg

As for his fin regrowth, I think he's been doing very well indeed!

JV - fin-regrowth- April 30th.jpg

The above photo was taken on the 17th day of having him in his new abode... Ralph, the mystery snail, has turned out to be a rather messy roommate and apparently left a pile of... ummm, yea... you can guess, lol... on that rock near his tail :yuck:

Below is a rather hilarious photo I captured of JV inspecting what was in the log... he 'sat' there motionless for quite a few moments... staring... focusing and peering intensely inside to see if anything was hiding, lol!! Sometimes I wish I was recording video instead in some of these moments because pictures are so hard to do well with my camera phone since he's always on the move usually, plus to capture him in action doing certain behaviors would be awesome and priceless... the even harder part is trying to anticipate these random 'awesome' moments...

I admit yet again, I really do have wayyyy too much fun watching him explore his home and interacting with him

JV - whats-in-there-hunting-April-30th.jpg

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awww, he's so beautiful!!! You should definitely do a video and share it here.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom