Meet my Flowerhorn, Nanaue!

ChrissFishes01

I went to a (not so) local store yesterday and chose a flowerhorn - they had four, and I picked the one who was trying to murder me through the glass! He's since been named Nanaue, after the shark demigod in the DC universe. Cause I'm a nerd.

I bred these guys years ago, and wouldn't mind getting back into it. That said, little Nanaue here doesn't seem to be of good breeding stock - oh well! I'm just happy to have a FH again.

BigManAquatics

I prefer picking my pets as well based on which one is trying to kill me....hey, least they show attention and awareness!

ChrissFishes01

I originally had this tank bare, as that's how I've kept flowerhorns in the past without issue. But, I had gotten those at a bigger size, and I think the (relatively) large tank was freaking Nanaue out. So, I went to Lowe's and got some pots for him to hide in, and a couple silk plants from my brackish tank. He's still super skittish, but hopefully he'll come around.

He likes the darker pot better than the white one. I may go back and get another black one at some point. They're like $3.

I feel like this tank really isn't showing off his color very well - I want to do a blue background (that's kind of the standard for FHs), but I'm not sure about the substrate. I only kept it in here because that's what was already there, but now I'm thinking about either going completely barebottom or maybe brown or black sand. Thoughts?

Apparently he thinks he can hide behind this crypt, lol

He's terrified of the camera and lights - he's getting used to me, but still flips out (tries to jump out of the tank, runs into tank walls, etc.) whenever I bring the camera out or move lights around. So, I've been leaving the camera/tripod in front of his tank some, and decided to film him eating some Omega One pellets. Oddly enough, he prefers these to any frozen food I've tried.

For whatever reason, the video doesn't want to embed. Sigh.

ChrissFishes01

Here's the video it wouldn't let me post yesterday!

ChrissFishes01

Nanaue took a little piece of a freeze-dried mealworm today. I offered him one the day after I got him and he spat it back out. I think it was too big - these smaller pieces seem to work okay. Lots of chewing, but I've always feed a little insect protein to my flowerhorns. I'd like to try some Repashy Grub Pie, just to see if he takes to it.

I'm wondering how on Earth this little Crypt is still growing - I figured Nanaue would have absolutely shredded it by now. I'm rooting for it!

ChrissFishes01

So, I'm learning that Nanaue hates shellfish. I've tried to feed him little bits of raw table shrimp, mysis, brine, and I just now tried some clam, and he immediately rejects it every time! He'll take a bite, and then launch it across the tank with his mouth, lol. He'll take bloodworms okay, and seemed to be a little more fond of the dried insects this morning than he was yesterday - there was no hesitation before it was engulfed into oblivion.

Funnily enough, so far he's only really gotten excited for pellets. I guess when the fish is manmade and captive-bred that makes a little more sense, but still - I find it interesting.

I added a small Java Fern, some Crypt Lucens, and a moss ball to see if he'd leave new plants alone. So far, so good!

ChrissFishes01

Alrighty, pic time!

FTS to show the new plants:

This Anubias sat in a ziplock baggie with a tiny amount of water in it for a month... outside. It feels dry, but not dried out. We'll see if it pulls through!

Nanaue got fed some bloodworms tonight, so he's been searching the substrate for worms he missed.

Does that look like a bite-sized piece of a moss ball to anyone else? There's several of them throughout the tank! Naughty fish.

And, for fun, I was looking at the first pic I posted of him a week ago - look how much his Nuchal Hump has inflated! Awesome stuff.

jmaldo

feel like this tank really isn't showing off his color very well - I want to do a blue background (that's kind of the standard for FHs), but I'm not sure about the substrate. I only kept it in here because that's what was already there, but now I'm thinking about either going completely barebottom or maybe brown or black sand. Thoughts?
Nice!
Over the years and experimentation, I have found a Black matboard backgound along with dark substrate allows most fish to become more "Colorful/Vivid". As an added benefit the hardware blends.
Just my .02.

By the way the Flowerhorns have been added to my bucket list....

ChrissFishes01

Nice!
Over the years and experimentation, I have found a Black matboard backgound along with dark substrate allows most fish to become more "Colorful/Vivid". As an added benefit the hardware blends.
Just my .02.

By the way the Flowerhorns have been added to my bucket list....
I really like black backgrounds too! "Conventional wisdom" in the flowerhorn hobby says that blue tends to suit them better - so that's what I've always kept them on, until now. I may experiment with some stuff over the next few weeks before I really commit to one.

I really do regret the white substrate... I think I'll be removing that as soon as I find a better one.

You should get one! They're extremely personable, and come in a huge variety. The only downside is that most are borderline evil, so they usually have to go alone.

ChrissFishes01

Alrighty, so Nanaue's allowing plants into his kingdom, so I added a large Anubias from my mother's tank (I visited last weekend!), and have been pleased with how well the plants have done so far!

Nanaue himself:

The Crypt (it's growing!):

I forgot about this Anubias in a zip-loc baggie for 3 weeks - I plopped it in here on Sunday, and I think I'm seeing some life come out of it:

Here's the giant Anubias from my mom's tank:

And Nanaue's chosen decor - java moss, in his pot:
https://i.imgur.com/hVbwQ5q.jpg

ChrissFishes01

Finally got Nanaue to take some table shrimp today. I fed him 3-4 pellets around 1, and decided to try the shrimp a few minutes ago. When I first dropped it in, he bit into it, and spit it back at the glass. I walked away to feed other fish, and couldn't find the shrimp. He was chewing, with a big belly. Finally! Meaty foods like that are so easy to feed, since I have puffers and other carnivores.

ChrissFishes01

I took a chance on adding a pleco to the tank today. I've had flowerhorns be fine with them, and had a couple try to kill them as soon as they hit the water. So far, Nanaue has been pretty relaxed with it, but we've had a couple nips and such:

I set the tripod up and left the room for the video above. The first clip is their first meeting, and then the later squabble was about 30 minutes later. For whatever reason, Nanaue was very fascinated by the fork, and decided he'd steal a green bean, lol.

I added some new Crypts, a piece of driftwood (for the pleco), and a small Jungle Val. I also switched out the Marineland fixture for a 30" Finnex Stingray. The difference is insane. I knew Marineland products were mostly garbage, but wow - this light is junk. I'm embarrassed to have paid $20 for it. Jeez.

Mycatisanorange

I went to a (not so) local store yesterday and chose a flowerhorn - they had four, and I picked the one who was trying to murder me through the glass! He's since been named Nanaue, after the shark demigod in the DC universe. Cause I'm a nerd.

I bred these guys years ago, and wouldn't mind getting back into it. That said, little Nanaue here doesn't seem to be of good breeding stock - oh well! I'm just happy to have a FH again.

Beautiful! I hadn’t ever considered any fish besides tiny community fish. Now I’m reconsidering.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Underwatergardener
Replies
Views