Meet Jett

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is it. No more bettas for a while now!

This is Jett (means 'black gemstone'). I was in Petco on Tuesday for something or other... do we really need an excuse? And this guy was there and he was soooo cool. But I said nope, I have two bettas and that is all I need. But then I got to thinking about him after I left the store. And I thought about him all week... Do I really need to go any further?

So here is Jett. The pics are horrible because he is still in his cup in the first two, and in his cup acclimating to his tank in the second two.

clear.gif 34.jpg

clear.gif clear.gif

The water is blue in his tank because I was lucky enough to find some Bettamax in a little hole-in-the-wall fish store here. So he is going to be in Bettamax for two weeks for preventative measures.

My old man is searching for a 12 step program for me to go into...  :

Attachments

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, when you find that 12 step program, sign me up! I was at the fish store today and saw a beautiful betta, actually a few-- but since I already have 6 I had to say NO! It was tough, and I know there is a beautiful female at Petco-- sigh!
Jett is so awesome.
I need like 6 more tanks so that I can have 6 more bettas. ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does the 12 step program mean you get to buy 12 bettas?! We'll go for that! Jett is a handsome guy!

We almost bought a black crowntail today.. oh, the pain of not buying him. :'( :'( :'( we only have 4 now, we need more!!! well, hope to have 6 after the Betta show. Does anyone know where we can buy a big divided tank that you can sleep on so we can replace the bed with a bunch of new bettas?

Our most recent betta addition was like that.. we saw mickey at the store a few times and just couldn't take it anymore the last visit.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome Jett, you are indeed a gem. Congratulations to you and your family. May you get the full 12 and then some.

Rose

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jet. He is very handsome!! Never mind 12 step programmes you guys, can you spell I-N-T-E-R-V-E-N-T-I-O-N ?????? Congratulations. I am very jealous, however, my jealousy is exceeded by my joy at Storm's progress!!

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jett says thanks for the warm welcome everyone! So far this evening he has been a very timid boy. He is in his tank hanging out in the corner that doesn't have any plants or filters or anything. But at least he's at the surface. It took Romeo a couple days to realize he didn't have to lay on the floor. I have kept his filter and light off to give him time to get used to his surroundings in peace (even tho I really want to turn the light on and just stare at him lol). I know he'll perk up in a day or two, he was very fiesty at the store in his cup.

Anyway, here are some clearer pics. His coloring is really different from what I have seen before. That gold/copper color only is visible to the camera flash. He really looks just black and red without the flash. And his eyes are so hard to see, I had to hold his cup right up to my face to make sure he had some. Also, his body shape is a little different from my other two boys. He seems thicker in the middle and his nose is pointy-er He reminds me of a little piggy rather than a bulldog like Cujo.

clear.gif clear.gif

So let's see... 3 bettas down, 9 to go before my 12 step program is complete!   I'm with FLBettaCouple - I need some tanks that you can lay a mattress on and use for a bed!

Attachments

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mickey was a bit shy his first day but his 2nd day found him getting braver and actually chasing my finger around and nipping it good. He even got brave enough to take a couple nips at the giant white ball invading his temporary home. I think that their experience with humans before us is often not good so it takes each one time to realize that things are different now and they can be happy. his coloring is great and his body shape makes me wonder if he might have a betta species other than splendens somewhere in his family line.

kat - if intervention means buying 12 bettas at once instead of 1 at a time, count me in. :

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just can't get over how gorgeous he is and how unique looking. Now I want a black-n-red betta! You really had to buy him and I understand!!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I just can't get over how gorgeous he is and how unique looking. Now I want a black-n-red betta! You really had to buy him and I understand!!!
lol.. quick someone! hold Genie down before she heads to the store!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't worry-- I haven't even gotten in the shower yet--- it is at least an hour before I can do some impulse fish buying! ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Don't worry-- I haven't even gotten in the shower yet--- it is at least an hour before I can do some impulse fish buying! ;D
LOL.. ok, well we'll be waiting for your new "Meet <betta name here>" post

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am making a face at you right now--- It says "I am embarrassed that the above statement may be true, and I am telling myself that it is in no way true, but I know it has potential."

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I am making a face at you right now--- It says "I am embarrassed that the above statement may be true, and I am telling myself that it is in no way true, but I know it has potential."
well the bettas await you - get your shower & say as you head out the door and it's starting to close, "I'm bringing home a new betta".

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you want me to end up divorced or dead? I guess if I end up divorced I can finally move to St. Augustine- LOL. Although it seems you don't have as many fish stores as I would like. Oh and he doesn't mind me bringing home the betta, he minds the $100 in supplies! :

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
do you want me to end up divorced or dead? I guess if I end up divorced I can finally move to St. Augustine- LOL. Although it seems you don't have as many fish stores as I would like. Oh and he doesn't mind me bringing home the betta, he minds the $100 in supplies! :
LOL.. maybe you should've customized your wedding vows to say "no matter how many bettas she brings home" along with "in richness and in betta-induced poverty".... and hey, you & your hubby can move here anyways - everyone else is, it seems. :

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Funny-- i was looking at apt. listings online... They were all like $1000-$2000 a month! We only pay $475 and that is high here! I will have to work 3 jobs.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
Oh and he doesn't mind me bringing home the betta, he minds the $100 in supplies! :
This is the crux of it. The little guy himself was $7 at Petco. The walmart bill for his tank/filter/heater/plants/cave/turkeybaster came to $75... :

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Funny-- i was looking at apt. listings online... They were all like $1000-$2000 a month! We only pay $475 and that is high here! I will have to work 3 jobs.
It wasn't long ago that apartments cost that here, but then the state of new york decided to move in and the cost of living here has gone thru the roof. it's crazy - everywhere in the county huge developments are being built even with 1000s of empty homes up for sale.. the developers are greedy and so is the county commission that allows any development as long as they get some $$ in their own pockets.
There are actually apartments for $600-700 or maybe a little less, but they're not listed in those online apartment search sites. another apartment complex is being built over here on the north end of town and it's supposed to be income-restricted so the rent will be reasonable.

So how's the betta that you picked up today?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I didn't go to the fish store today- thank you very much! LOL

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you DIDN'T?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ::collapses in shock::