Meet Harry Dean Stanton!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Heiditron3000, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Heiditron3000

Heiditron3000Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +84
    Experience:
    Just started
    I did it. I came back for that fancy dancin’ old man. This is Harry Dean Stanton, and boy he looks like he’s seen some things.

He’s doing well so far! He sat at the bottom of the tank for ten minutes but now he’s slowly starting to explore. As for how old he is, I have no idea.

Attached Files:

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    He's a cool betta. Kudos to you for taking an older one and giving him a good home. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Heiditron3000

Ratings:
    +84
    Experience:
    Just started
    He’s perked up a lot, and I got him a piece of mopani wood that has a cool cave hollow in it, so he’s got some niiiice tannins to help him out. He doesn’t seem to be able to detect food very well, though.

4. newbettagus

newbettagusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Not able to detect food... this fish is totally unrelated to mine. :hungry:

5. OP
    OP
    Heiditron3000

Ratings:
    +84
    Experience:
    Just started
    He isn’t related to my other ones either. The others can pinpoint a single pellet in a forest of water wisteria

6. OP
    OP
    Heiditron3000

Ratings:
    +84
    Experience:
    Just started
    Update time! Harry is a sweet old man and loves to come up and greet me every time I come over to his tank. He does appear to have Popeye, his eyes are just so buggy. That doesn’t seem to affect how happy he is, though. I’m waiting for erythromycin to come in the mail and am starting treatment as soon as it does.

He doesn’t see very well. He sees me okay, and does seem to see his food but he can’t quite locate it, as he misses a few times when he tries to eat it. His mouth also can’t seem to open all the way, he has trouble with even the micro pellets.

He finds food better if I point to it like this. The brown water is from the mopani wood and almond leaves he has.

Attached Files:

7. newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Good to hear that he's okay. You seem to be taking such good care of him.

What you're doing reminds me of how I've trained Gus (actually, I'm not sure who has trained whom) to come to where my fingers are just above the water, and then I'll drop a food bit. He snaps it up right away and I think this keeps anything from landing on the bottom of the tank. This may be one of the reasons our nitrite levels are declining.

8. newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    One more thought: One of the things I feed Gus is Fluval Bug Bites. You can actually cut those into tinier pieces.

They stink though. :depressed:

9. OP
    OP
    Heiditron3000

Ratings:
    +84
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’ve been wanting to get bug bites for a while, maybe I’ll finally cave and do it!

He seemed to be able to see his food a little better after a dose of erythromycin. But I don’t think his old betta teeth work well because he had a piece of food stuck in his mouth after he lunged for it. So I gotta soak it.