Meet Christen

Asinity

Reaction score
Well my fiance, Christine, and I had quite the afternoon. We went and got our hair cut and the lady at the counter misheard Christine when she told her, her name for the list. I noticed that she had written it down as Christen, and the rest of the time there she was always being called Christen.

Anyway, afterwards we went to the pet store because I had wanted to show her the little female betta that just melted my heart yesterday. Christine fell in love with the little girl as soon as she saw her, in a tank of 25-30 female bettas, this tiny little girl stood out to us, and she just stared at Christine wherever she walked to. We couldn't help it, all of a sudden we were on our way to my place with this tiny little betta. On the way home, I made the suggestion that we name her Christen, because it just all kinda worked together and it had a little bit of fate written on it.

She's only about an inch long, not much more if at all. The picture isn't all that great because she just moves around like crazy, after the initial 'where am i?' wore off, she became very active and hard to catch on camera. She's looking very good in the 2.5G tank and doesn't seem to mind the Stingray5's current at all. I've also noticed she's taken to the little plant already, I've found her curled up in it a couple times already when she's not zooming around.

It's amazing the difference when you get a healthy betta from the beginning compared to the guys at Wal Mart. Mind you, ever since he noticed Christen, Atlantis seems to have perked up a little. Maybe that's all he wanted was a little lovin'

32.jpg

-Mark

lisa987

Reaction score
Welcome Christen! She is adorable. I love her orange color, she's so unique!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum Christen!!! What a cute little girl she is. Yeah taking pics (or trying to) of hyper Bettas is fun, isn't it :

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
She's absolutely the sweetest betta I've ever had. She can't keep her eyes off anyone who's in the room and she's incredibly active, and already eating the blood worms, it took Atlantis almost a week to start eating.

Amazing the difference when they're taken care of, she's got lots of spunk!

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
8) Christen is a beautiful little girl. Congratulations on your new addition.

A nice warm welcome to you, Christen. All my bettas wave a big hello too.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW My boys perked up their fins at her! We all welcome you, Christen. It is such a fitting name and you are so beautiful.

Welcome and have a good life. You have good betta parents so behave and let them get some pictures okay.

Congratulations to you and your fiance.

Rose

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
I've been trying to get better pictures but haven't had any luck, I'll keep trying though.

I just gave her, her second feeding just now and boy does she love her food. I also tried a pellet to see if she would try it, she wants it but they're too big for her. As it is I've got to cut up the worms.

I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow, until then it's night night time.

-Mark

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only brand of pellets that I know of that is small enough or has the right amount of nutrition for bettas of this size is the Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Pro.  It is expensive but the only one made for Bettas this young.

It is available at PetSmart but for about $2.00 more.

Rose

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
Because she's so young, should she be given less food?

I've been breaking apart blood worms, usually 2 or 3 pieces per worm and she can eat them without a problem. Been getting about 4 worms in her at feeding time.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes that is a good idea. Her tummy is about the size of her eye and she will not be able to eat as much as a full grown betta. I would even cut it back a tad bit more like 3 worms three times a day as she will really need to be fed more often due to her growing needs. She is a darling and needs more care than her larger counterparts. Baby bettas are sweet but do take a bit more time. If she shows any sign of wanting to stop eating please do stop. If she does not please do make her stop as she will constipate more easily than an adult betta.

She is a darling.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
My females always act like they are starving and jump up and nip my fingers if I don't drop the food fast enough. They would keep eating until they explode if I let them. I fed them baby pellets for a few weeks and then they started on the big Betta food, HikarI Betta Bio-Gold. They get only ONE pellet twice a day and my male gets only two twice a day plus they get pea treats and Daphnia a few times a week (though not altogether).
I used to feed the girls two and the boys three but after losing Phlox to constipation and probably infection resulting from it, I've cut everyone down. The pellets expand so one will fill their tummies after a few minutes when it soaks up stomach acid. I'm also feeding green pea 3 times a week now. You should get Christen started on that asap. They love it and it may save her life. 
Phlox got green pea twice a week but still had problems I think because he had a short stocky body and maybe some genetic abnormalities that predisposed him to it.
Make sure she eats a variety of foods before she becomes too picky and won't eat anything but one type of food. Variety will keep Bettas healthy and prevent constipation. Try a small amount of Freeze-dried Daphnia as a treat a couple times a week. It's small enough for a baby and a good source of fiber and protein.

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
She's far more spunky today than she has been for the past 3 or 4 days after being stuck to that filter. I've kept it off ever since.

I've got the 5.5 gallon sterilizing with bleach right now, so hopefully I'll be able to get her over to that shortly - I really need to buy a 10 gallon because I want to buy another male and this 2.5 just doesn't cut it when it has a filter.

She's been getting a couple little pellets lately without much issue provided they are broken up enough for her, which isn't too hard. I'll try pea next.

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
She loves pea, the first couple pieces were a little big for her, but she still managed to find a use for it... catch it, spit it out, catch it, spit it out, catch it... whether or not it was a game, I don't know. But when she got pieces small enough, she just loved them.

Atlantis never was this energetic, I really think he was sick when I bought him.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will say that the females are usually much more active unless you get a very tiny male. Those segregated cups and containers just keep them from developing a lot of muscle. The females are raised in a growth tank with other females though and have a lot of room to swim and move and make those little muscles grow. They do not really get put in small containers until they hit the stores.

Rose

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
It likely helps Christen that even in the store she was in a large community tank with a bunch of other females. I think she'll continue to do quite well now that the shock from being stuck to a filter has worn off. I'm thankful she pulled through it, she was looking awful for a couple of days. Christine was quite worried that her little betta was going to die. The day after it happened, she said that she was going to give up on fish - I don't think that's the case any more

-Mark

OP
A

Asinity

Reaction score
Also, I've had the 5.5 tank running with bleach solution for about 4.5 hours now. Would it be okay to empty it and start rinsing? The smell of bleach is just wicked in my basement right now, and I sleep down here...

Thanks.
-Mark

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think generally people leave things soaking in bleach overnight to make sure it kills all the germs. But, your choice.

Heh, someone should tell Dorado and Fuego they're not supposed to be as active as the girls ...I must get all the crazy Bettas :

Glad to hear Christen is doing better.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whatever isn't killed in that after an hour or two is not going to die. If you are going to be needing to sleep down there, go ahead and start rinsing and using the super dechlored water to soak overnight.

Rose

New Threads