Meet Butch, The World’s Largest Betta Splendens Funny

1. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Hey fellow fishlorians!
    I am here today to tell you about my most recent betta purchase. He was an impulse buy, but don’t worry, I have a good set up for him.
    Today was just an average day going to one of my best local tropical fish stores, I was buying some supplies when I decided to glaze over the betta section, sure enough I found Butch.
    Butch was front and center and I had to struggle through a few people to get a good look at him. Everyone was “oohing” and “ahhing” at this betta, I couldn’t believe my eyes he was the largest betta I’ve ever seen!
    There were a few people negotiating a price with the owner when I decided that since I had the money I should just go for it. The current price was $50 so I handed over the money and said “I need this fish” the owner sold him to me since I come in regularly and he knows I had a good home for him. So I stopped by petco and grabbed some simple supplies then proceeded home.
    I set him all up in an 8 gallon sterilite box with a cycled sponge filter, one of those flat heaters, a floating log, a leaf hammock, and a silk plant. He is about 4-5” including the tail and has a gorgeous blue and white marble to him. He was such a steal.
    I will get some pics tomorrow as to not stress him out but I absolutely love him. I can’t decide between Butch or Humphrey but let me know which one you like better.
    Don’t worry, he is going into a 20 long after I move in a few days and finish setting it up and this isn’t permanent, he will have his own mansion. I will probably do frequent water changes (2-4x per week) until I set up the 20 long to keep the parameters in the correct range. He really is a one of a kind betta.

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Pictures pictures pictures!! I found a beautiful boy the other day and was SO close to getting him.

3. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I definitely agree that we need to see a picture of this big boy when you get a chance. I bet there were some upset people there when you bought him on the spot.

4. siameseAmethyst

siameseAmethyst Member Member

Well that was an anticlimax :/ no pics :(

5. OP
    OP
    Skye_marilyn

Don’t worry I will get plenty tomorrow! He is still adjusting and I don’t want to stress him out with bright lights, but he should be fine tomorrow.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

No pictures, no proof!

7. OP
    OP
    Skye_marilyn

Okay this is for all of you waiting to see Butch. I have some pics but they don’t even barely capture his size but a trust me he is huge. It is really hard to capture the size of a fish on camera. You can see that is a giant sponge filter, there is a dime I held up, and a floating log, I think you can get an idea of how huge he is.

Attached Files:

8. Z

Z24zorpx4 Initiate Member

that's a cool looking pattern on that fish

9. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

He's big but are you sure he's a Splendens? He kind of looks like a big Plakat to me.

10. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Wow he is big. Nice find! :D

11. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Splendens is the species of betta. Plakat is the tail morph. That means you might have a (betta splendens "plakat").

12. H

Hegrey Initiate Member

He's beautiful! And I know the size of that sponge filter- wow, he is a big boy, isn't he?