Meet Butch, The World’s Largest Betta Splendens Funny

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Skye_marilyn, May 19, 2018.

1. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Hey fellow fishlorians!
    I am here today to tell you about my most recent betta purchase. He was an impulse buy, but don’t worry, I have a good set up for him.
    Today was just an average day going to one of my best local tropical fish stores, I was buying some supplies when I decided to glaze over the betta section, sure enough I found Butch.
    Butch was front and center and I had to struggle through a few people to get a good look at him. Everyone was “oohing” and “ahhing” at this betta, I couldn’t believe my eyes he was the largest betta I’ve ever seen!
    There were a few people negotiating a price with the owner when I decided that since I had the money I should just go for it. The current price was $50 so I handed over the money and said “I need this fish” the owner sold him to me since I come in regularly and he knows I had a good home for him. So I stopped by petco and grabbed some simple supplies then proceeded home.
    I set him all up in an 8 gallon sterilite box with a cycled sponge filter, one of those flat heaters, a floating log, a leaf hammock, and a silk plant. He is about 4-5” including the tail and has a gorgeous blue and white marble to him. He was such a steal.
    I will get some pics tomorrow as to not stress him out but I absolutely love him. I can’t decide between Butch or Humphrey but let me know which one you like better.
    Don’t worry, he is going into a 20 long after I move in a few days and finish setting it up and this isn’t permanent, he will have his own mansion. I will probably do frequent water changes (2-4x per week) until I set up the 20 long to keep the parameters in the correct range. He really is a one of a kind betta.

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Pictures pictures pictures!! I found a beautiful boy the other day and was SO close to getting him.

3. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I definitely agree that we need to see a picture of this big boy when you get a chance. I bet there were some upset people there when you bought him on the spot.

4. siameseAmethyst

siameseAmethystValued MemberMember

Well that was an anticlimax :/ no pics :(

5. OP
    OP
    Skye_marilyn

Don’t worry I will get plenty tomorrow! He is still adjusting and I don’t want to stress him out with bright lights, but he should be fine tomorrow.

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

No pictures, no proof!

7. OP
    OP
    Skye_marilyn

Okay this is for all of you waiting to see Butch. I have some pics but they don’t even barely capture his size but a trust me he is huge. It is really hard to capture the size of a fish on camera. You can see that is a giant sponge filter, there is a dime I held up, and a floating log, I think you can get an idea of how huge he is.

Attached Files:

8. Z24zorpx4New MemberMember

that's a cool looking pattern on that fish

9. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

He's big but are you sure he's a Splendens? He kind of looks like a big Plakat to me.

10. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Wow he is big. Nice find! :D

11. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Splendens is the species of betta. Plakat is the tail morph. That means you might have a (betta splendens "plakat").

12. HegreyNew MemberMember

He's beautiful! And I know the size of that sponge filter- wow, he is a big boy, isn't he?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice