Meet Bubbles, the daredevil comet Funny

1. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

The movies are sequential, so watch both. They're very short.

[video=youtube_share;Ah1rZzhBsB0]http://youtu.be/Ah1rZzhBsB0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;5UQH3AHmWjc]http://youtu.be/5UQH3AHmWjc[/video]

2. millca Member Member

Cute little guys! Did he just start doing that? He seems to want out of the tank and might injury himself on the tank lid.

I know you weren't asking for advice but do you realize that comets need huge tanks to live and grow in as they can reach over 12" in length? They produce a huge amount of waste which means a ton of ammonia will be produced by them in a very short time of being in that small tank which will make the water toxic to them unless your tank has fully been cycled. Your fish might be reacting to the water. Just a thought to ponder. They are beautiful comets.

Your profile mentions a 55G tank but the one in the video looks much smaller, like perhaps a 10G. Will you be moving them into the 55G tank? Does the one comet react the same way in the larger tank?

3. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for your concern. I recently had a long discussion on the forum about the goldfish outgrowing the tank. However, right now they're OK in the 55 gal.

The water quality is pristine. pH=7.4, ammonia=0, nitrite=0 nitrate 10-20. KH=3 and GH=12. Excess bio filtration with aeration and plants.

He's just soooo excited to be fed. He learned this behavior from another tank mate. But Bubbles does it quite frequently. He's just CRAZY and cute, he also lets me pet him on the head like a dog!

I'd imagine insectivorous fish do this to capture insects landing on the water surface.

Half the tank lid is open so I'm not worried about him hitting his head rather I'm bit concerned that he may jump out. I'm probably gonna have to keep the lid closed from now on.

4. millca Member Member

I'm relieved that that is at least your 55G tank. Does he not bump into the lid when it is closed? That's the injury I was concerned about. Yes, jumping out would be another huge concern. LOL.

5. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

I always keep the front lids open. And he only jumps when he wants food.

But I have read stories on this forum of fish jumping out, tho he's not that good of a jumper, vertically yes, but at an angle he can't jump too high.

6. DaniosRock Member Member

Your fish are beautiful. Maybe you could provide some hoops for him and he could perform. He's quite the ham!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the compliment. I've thought about hoops or some other trick, hey if they can teach
    goldfish how to play soccer, anything is possible!

He does have a lot of personality and he can be a bit of a bully too. He'll suck face with the other goldfish in an attempt to steal food out of their mouths!

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Common's are excellent jumpers. I would be cautious in leaving the hood open. They look happy and feisty.

9. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

I will take your advice and keep the hood lid closed. But I have a general question, doesn't leaving the hood closed decrease gas exchange?

10. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Chunk101, great question, my opinion, I have no factual evidence or studies that I can share to support this, is that your hood offers enough cuts and crevices to assist with oxygen exchange. An example that comes to mind is that your home can be completely closed up, windows/doors, no a/c or ventilation, though oxygen still enters the home. So as long as you have enough surface disturbance/agitation, oxygen exchange should not be affected due to your tanks hood being closed as the seal caused by your hood is not air tight. The only effect that comes to mind from having a closed hood is that your temperature may rise as well as your evaporation rate.

11. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

@Rivieraneo you meant with the hood closed, temp would rise but your evaporation rate would decrease.

Yeah, I have plenty of surface agitation and the hood has plenty of gaps and the fish are small enough that I shouldn't worry. Thanks!

12. Charles Wagner Initiate Member

wait a min. (sorry if this is coming out of left field) but you can really teach a fish how to play soccer? I thought that was just some kit petco sold to make an extra buck ?

13. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I saw it on the news. One goldfish is trained to push the soccer ball into the left goal while another is trained to push it into the right goal. It's a reward based training but I think to actually train them takes a lot of time and effort.