Meds & Treatments Help

DaveyboyManc
I've been concentrating so much on learning other things that I've completely let disease treatment slip my mind

Would somebody please be able to give me a list of the most important things I would need for any kind of disease treatment, common or not? If you can advise me on the best brands too, that would be great. I want to go stock up on what ever I may need rather than cross that bridge when I come to it

If it depends on fish, then for now, I've got 4 Neon Tetras but will also be keeping Platys

david1978
Some people stock up on all this stuff but forget that it does expire. If meds and stuff like that can be bought at your local fish store buying them before hand really is a waiste.

Carbeo
Hmm. Medication recommendations will vary by everyone's experience. Theres a wikI list on diseases. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aquarium_diseases
Always recheck water parameters and partial water changes before jumping to medications. Are you in a situation where you can't purchase a medication when/if diseases occur? Maybe like prazipro, quick cure, kanaplex and metroplex. But there so many brands, various intensities, and scenarios it's hard to design a fish first-aide kit.

Adriana N
I would keep methylene blue on hand, as it combats fungus and some parasites, etc. I would also keep some aquarium salt. There are so many uses for salt, including battling parasites, like ich.

DaveyboyManc
Some people stock up on all this stuff but forget that it does expire. If meds and stuff like that can be bought at your local fish store buying them before hand really is a waiste.
Fair point. I'm just thinking if something happens & needs treating straight away. My working hours are generally before shops open & I'm still there after they close. If something happened on a Monday, I couldnt get to an LFS until the weekend - so it would have to be ordered online. If I needed it within hours, id be screwed

Adriana N
Yeah. That's why I buy small bottles of medication (when it expires), usually multi-use ones. If I need specific medication, I buy from drfostersandsmith. The prices are fair and shipping is fast.

DaveyboyManc
Hmm. Medication recommendations will vary by everyone's experience. Theres a wikI list on diseases. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aquarium_diseases
Always recheck water parameters and partial water changes before jumping to medications. Are you in a situation where you can't purchase a medication when/if diseases occur? Maybe like prazipro, quick cure, kanaplex and metroplex. But there so many brands, various intensities, and scenarios it's hard to design a fish first-aide kit.
Exactly! I work 6:30am till 6:30pm most days, so getting to an LFS in an emergency situation would be a no-go. Plus, where I live, there aren't many that have a wide range of products. I was just thinking of something to have in just incase. I'm still only a beginner but id like to be prepared so my fish have the best chance possible.

david1978
If needed in a few hours most of us would be screwed. Lol. Nice thought but even when we get sick we have a few days till we would die from it. If it something that needs meds now its already too late.

DaveyboyManc
If needed in a few hours most of us would be screwed. Lol. Nice thought but even when we get sick we have a few days till we would die from it. If it something that needs meds now its already too late.
I'm just guessing with the "within hours" things. I know next to zero about diseases. I just started reading up on ich tonight for the first time. Ive been too preoccupied with tryna sort this cycle out. Maybe I'm over thinking things. So with most common ailments, treatment within hours isn't necessary? Amazon Prime can get stuff to me within a day. This hobby brings out the OCD in me

david1978
I know by the threads that disease seems rampant but there are over 81,000 members on here. In the 20+ years of having fish I think I had to get meds 3 times. All I have on hand is hydrogen peroxide. Which works on just about anything external.

DaveyboyManc
I would keep methylene blue on hand, as it combats fungus and some parasites, etc. I would also keep some aquarium salt. There are so many uses for salt, including battling parasites, like ich.
Which brands of those would you reccomend?

I know by the threads that disease seems rampant but there are over 81,000 members on here. In the 20+ years of having fish I think I had to get meds 3 times. All I have on hand is hydrogen peroxide. Which works on just about anything external.
Haha that's just it. I'm trying to read as much as O can & there are trillions of threads on people who had disease outbreak. Makes me nervy lol

david1978
Relax having fish is supposed to be fun. I know we all think worst case scenario but honestly how often has that actually happened. I can't really think of any diseases that you wouldn't have a day or two after diagnosis to treat your fish.

DaveyboyManc
Relax having fish is supposed to be fun. I know we all think worst case scenario but honestly how often has that actually happened. I can't really think of any diseases that you wouldn't have a day or two after diagnosis to treat your fish.

I know. But unless I know what I should be prepared for, I can't have fun with it. I'm clearly worrying too much & overthinking it. Would just feel more comfortable if I felt a little more prepared. You're right though - I should relax about it. My wife tells me the same thing

david1978
Prevention is the best treatment. Lol. Keep your water clean and stable. Quarantine new fish. Feed them a healthy diet. Healthy happy fish are way less likely to get a disease. Things like overfeeding, overstocking and not keeping up water quality are the biggest things to try to avoid.

KimberlyG
I've got the the whole arsenal and yup, hopefully I end up throwing it all away without even opening it. The only thing I don't have is kanamycin and I can get it home within an hour and a half.
If you have a Walmart by you, you're in pretty good shape. They just don't have any kanamycin. That would be a last ditch med for me anyway.

jmaldo
Short timer here. But during my research and reading posts here and other forums. Often times people with the best intentions treat for a suspected illness to find out it was the wrong illness and treatment. Which stresses the fish even more which then causes other problems. Better to get the illness correctly diagnosed and then the best med or treatment. Agree with david1978 along with the proper Quarantine of new fish.

Susiefoo
Be aware that we cannot get a lot of the treatments that are recommended on here by US folk in the UK. Eg antibiotics are only available with a vet's prescription.

I have never bought any meds and have never had reason to use them. Buy from reliable sources, quarantine new arrivals, stock slowly and lightly, only keep compatible species in their optimum conditions (e.g. temperature etc), keep up with your water changes (30-50% weekly as standard), and you minimise your risk of needing them.

I would just find out the opening hours of your nearest shops and have a browse at who sells what. Worst case scenario you can pay for next day delivery on Amazon etc.

KimberlyG
Thanks Susiefoo. Didn't see the UK on the OP's post. No, you will not have a walmart near you. lol.
Try to find a local shop that carries the eSHa line. They have several good ones. If you want to have one on hand, get the eSHa 2000. It's pretty broad spectrum. Hopefully you'll never need to use it.

DaveyboyManc
Yep, seems you guys out there have a lot more choice than we do. I regularly road trip round the states with my friends & am back there in May so might see what I can grab while I'm there. Next day delivery as was mentioned should do the trick though I supose, so that should be fine. Gonna get a couple of the things in that were already mentioned, just in case, and will always come here for advice first before doing anything. I actually don't have a quarantine tank yet so that's next on the list.
Thanks for the advice ladies & gents

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaNovice101
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Top Bottom