Meds Not Working For Betta With Ich Or Velvet Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HasPop, Mar 21, 2019.

1. HasPopNew MemberMember

Hi! My betta is going on 6 weeks with a fungus that isn't responding to the medicine I've tried. (See photo.) He's active and eating, and I'm afraid of killing him with too much or the wrong medication. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Here are the details:

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?: 2.5 Gallon Quarantine Tank
    How long has the tank been running?: Months
    Does it have a filter?: Yes, but using sponge only, no carbon
    Does it have a heater?: Yes
    What is the water temperature?: 78.5-79 degrees
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.): Betta only, quarantine tank

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?: Every 2 to 3 days
    How much of the water do you change?: 50%
    What do you use to treat your water?: API Stress Coat, API Stress Zyme, API Quickstart, API Salt
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?: No substrate/Quarantine tank

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?: No, used API Quickstart
    What do you use to test the water?: API Master test
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: <50
    pH: 7

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?: Daily
    How much do you feed your fish?: 4-5 little pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?:  
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?: 1 year
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?: 6 weeks ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?: White patch behind pectoral fin
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes Paraguard, then switch to combo Metroplex/Kanaplex
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?: No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?: Somewhat

Explain your emergency situation in detail. I first saw the white patch 6 weeks ago after returning from vacation. There are two snails in the main tank so I moved the betta to a 2.5 quarantine tank (no substrate, just a betta cave and one betta-friendly plastic plant) and did a two-week cycle of Paraguard. There was no change. I stopped medication and kept parameters in quarantine tank pristine. Betta remained active, he's not hanging out at the bottom of the tank. The main change in behavior is that he now flares at me when I look in the quarantine tank. He never did that in the 6 -gallon tank. After a break from medicine, I switched to a combo Metroplex/Kanaplex in the water (not mixed in the food, I was afraid he wouldn't eat enough and I'd have to fight ammonia). He's been on Metroplex/Kanaplex going on 3 weeks, but no change in the white patch. I do a 50 percent water change with a teaspoon of salt every two to three days. I don't want to kill him with medication that isn't working. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, the heater is a constant one, I'm afraid I'd boil him with an adjustable heater in a 2.5 gallon tank.

Attached Files:

2. trahanaValued MemberMember

I can't tell because of the pic, but is the patch is fuzzy? If it is it could be a true fungus, which it seems the meds you are using are for the bacterial infections that we often call a fungus. I suggest switching to Polyguard or Sulfaplex, since you seem to have seachem products.

3. HasPopNew MemberMember

Thank you so much Trahana. It does look a bit fuzzy - not as fuzzy as the picture, but yes. I was indeed confused by everything I read about ich, velvet and general fungus. I am open to other brands - is there anything you would recommend over Seachem?

4. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

hard to see. can you use a white light? the pic is very purple-ish.

i'm not seeing ich or velvet.

i do see a white patch of cottony fungus behind the gill/pectoral fin area.

5. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Can't tell for sure from the picture but it kind of looks like Saprolegnia. If it is then you need malachite green as the sole ingredient and in higher concentration.