Meds For Cory's And Yoyo Loaches?

1. jmarcf Member Member

Hi People,

I picked up 3 salt and pepper Cory's and 1 yoyo loach (yes I know I need a larger group but that's all the LFS had on hand).

The guys are in a 5g QT tank and would like to treat them for diseases/parasitics etc before adding them to my 20g.

I have the following meds on hand:
    • Paraguard
    • API General Cure
    • flubendazole
    • praziquantel
    • ICH-OUT (Formaldehyde <5%, Methanol <2%, Malachite Green <0.1%)
    • Blue Planet Aquari Cycline (375mg Tetracycline Hydrocloride)
    • Blue Planet Multi Cure 125ml (Malachite Green, Methylene Blue, Acriflavine)
    Which of these meds are safe for Cory's and loaches?

Thanks for any help

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. jmarcf Member Member

Thanks. So far I have used Paraguard at 1/2 strength and bloodworms mixed with general cure and Epsom salt. Unfortunately, I lost 1 cory due to my own stupidity. I accidentally forgot to plug the heater back in for 24hrs and it's winter here :-(

I decided to bite the bullet and treat the tank with the ich-out and general cure.I tried emailing "experts" and many hours on different forums without a single answer.

After having seen this (https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/general-cure?variant=20392007620) saying that he has always used general cure and ich-x (100% same as ich-out) with loaches and corys. I trust him so will update on the progress of the little guys.

Please keep your fingers crossed for the little guys and girls (unless doing wc, as this might be difficult lol ;))

4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I normaly just use seachem paraguard at half dose with yoyo loaches and I quarantine for atleast 3 to 4 weeks.

btw yoyo loaches need to be kept in groups of 6+ and a 20g is no where near big enough for them, they get big 6". Corys will be fine but also should be in groups of 6+.

5. jmarcf Member Member

I have taken the loaches back as I also have shrimp lol

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Other treatments than worming are quite useless in my opinion.

Lots of bacteria for instance are in a tank and only infect fish when they are weakened, stressed, malnourished, etc....
    Several bacteria are brought in a tank by food, ornaments, plants, substrate etc etc...

Besides of that you'll expose fish unneeded to meds (stress). The overuse and misuse of meds will make several disease more resistant time after time.