Meds Agitating My Blue Velvet Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by TheSeaWitch, Apr 24, 2017.

1. TheSeaWitch

TheSeaWitch New Member Member

Hi guys. So I noticed some small white patches on one of my female scarlet badis, and she was flashing. Seems to be fungal, but with no fluff. My tank includes 5 amano shrimp and a blue velvet shrimp, so I looked for a gentle medication that wouldn't bother them. I'm dosing Melafix and Pimafix, which both say they do no harm to inverts. However, my blue velvet has been swimming all over the tank frantically all day, which he never does. (This is day three on the meds). My amano are looking a bit agitated as well.

Aside from the one female scarlet badis with the issue, I have four others that look to be in excellent condition, with no symptoms. But also... I have a school of 8 white cloud mountain minnows who haven't been doing well. They are either flashing or lethargic, since before the meds... but aside from that, they look perfectly healthy, with no external signs of illness. No spots, patches, velvet, redness around the gills, nothing. A few have died, and they look pristine, gently rounded bellies and all. The tank is fed on flakes and microworms, along with the occasional algae wafer. I have a fluval power filter (waterfall) oxygenating the water, and as far as I know, if there was a lack of oxygen, it wouldn't cause flashing.

The tank is planted, the pH is around 7.6, and there is ZERO ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and I have been testing regularly. I have dosed appropriately with melafix and pimafix for two days, and today will be the third day of dosing, but I'm almost afraid to do it because of the way my blue velvet shrimp is behaving.

Thoughts? Advice?

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

all meds with copper can have adverse effects on inverts. also the protein synthesis inhibitors some antibiotic have are sometimes similar in prokaryotic and eukaryotic orgs and not others. I'm ignorant of the specifics

3. OP
    OP
    TheSeaWitch

TheSeaWitch New Member Member

Hmm... I've kept an eye out for copper, and it seems there is no copper in either of these two meds. I checked their data sheets. Not sure about the protein synthesis inhibitor issue...

4. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

well some antibiotics that affect bacteria/parasaites/algae may also affect other thing like inverts to a lesser degree because they share a similar metabolic path the antibiotic disrupts

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice