Medications taken up by algae?

  1. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

    Not sure this is the right place to put this question.
    I am currently running my main tank through qt procedures simultaneously with my qt tank after a ick outbreak. I evacuted my nerite snails to my tank at wprk with bettas since thw copper in the initial med would have killed them. I did about a 50 percent water change after last day of Cupramine treatment and added cuprisorb to the filter to get rid of the copper and the tank just finished a course of Prazipro today. I'd like to take some of the decor that I don't like as well from the main tank to work to feed the snails the algae on it.

    Do I need to worry that there might be harmful meds in the algae that could harm the snails? The water tests at less than .1ppm copper. Very very faint color on the test. so copper wise i think the water should be safe. What do you guys think?
     
  2. Bhuij Member Member

    I'm no expert, but I have no reason to believe that algae would have absorbed toxic levels of copper from medication.

    If it was me, I'd go for it. But of course it's your call if you want to risk it. Maybe someone else here has more experience in the matter and can give you a better answer, haha.
     

  3. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

    I appreciate the input! My little tank doesn't have algae i can see for them to eat seems a shame to letit go to waste.
     
  4. Bhuij Member Member

    Yeah. If you're still worried about the algae having heavy metals like copper in it, I'd maybe just play it safe and feed the shrimp something else.