Medicated Food

Discussion in 'Meds, Additives and Supplements Reviews' started by bubble1807, Jun 21, 2017.

1. bubble1807Well Known MemberMember

So I'm planning on giving my fish some medicated food just as a protection against diseases and parasites and plan to continue this. I was wondering, what's the best preventative medicated fish food? Thanks

2. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

Best preventative food is a nutritious diet. New life spectrum has been great. No medication. There's no problem so don't create one

3. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Medicating will slowly prevent life. If you use an antibiotic food longterm, you will kill the bacterial flora of the fish intestine - bacteria that support life, digest, etc. A number of the cheaper fish farms use constant antibiotics to force growth, and the results are fish that bloat easily (hey betta keepers) and fall ill if the wind blows from the wrong direction.

If humans are on antibiotics longterm, we need to supplement our gut flora and fauna or we have all sorts of problems. It's the same for fish. Antibiotics, if used in tanks, should hit a defined and obvious target over 10-14 days, and be withdrawn.

Your plan will completely backfire if you follow it. Use high quality foods chosen for the fish you intend to keep, don't overcrowd and keep things clean.

4. bubble1807Well Known MemberMember

I was thinking more natural things like garlic honestly. Just because a fish died from dropsy a couple of weeks ago.

5. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Garlic isn't a medication. It's a food. Some believe it has medicinal effects, some think it is just marketed as a remedy since we readily spend money on things with 'natural; sources. The claims are too wide to all be true - it would be miraculous if it did all that the sellers promise. It may discourage some types of gutworms. That's about all that's proven.
    I love it on pizza and I don't have symptoms of gutworms, so
    I'll give it to my fish...
    I'd feed garlic with the expectation that the fish would... eat garlic.

6. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

I use garlic when i feed de-shelled pea, for me the garlic is the sugar coating for the peas, my fish are not crazy about their pea day, in fact they are reluctant to eat the peas but soak them in tank water with crushed garlic and i have a feeding frenzy they splash my living room its crazy. I don't know why but i live garlic too, i eat it by the bin load it goes in everything i cook, when id be in hot countries id sit with a t- shirt and rarely be bitten by the mosquito whilst my friends would be feasted on, i always found it strange that it actually works as a deterrent to the bugs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

Garlic does not combat dropsy. Dropsy occurs typically in a poor quality setting. And garlic isn't a food. It's a supplement and appetite increase r

8. tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hijack - do you mean to say feeding garlic bits would increase appetite of a fish that refuses to eat?

9. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Exactly

10. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

Feeding and garlic juice. Both will help "increase" appetite. Think about your steak, when garlic hits the butter before you cook. The aroma typically create humans to salivate. Similar in fish. It helps appetite

11. tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Thank you both!! I will feed some garlic. I stay away form things like 12$ Garlic Guard and "herbal betta revive" because "natural cure-it-all" is just like snake oil innit...

"Eat this grass" medicine never prevented measels or diabetes or TB... or increased life expectancy to 80 - and yet we as a society are reverting back to it. No thanks, not even for my fish with 12$ a bottle.

And to dose real medicine for no reason will quickly bust your fishes' liver and kidneys