Media Reactor

Sonya

Anyone out there in FishLore land have any experience with using a media reactor? I would like to use Seachem DeNitrate, but haven't figured out the best way. If I use a media reactor, would I be able to use purigen or Algone with it, or just the DeNitrate?

Fish-whisper

Hello Sonya, here's what Seachem says about DeNitrate and media reactor. How to use DeNitrate - Seachem Support Forums

Sonya

Thanks - I did read that while researching. I can see why I have not gotten a response from someone who Has actually used it. Seachem pushes everyone towards matrix. I read the entire thread and they must've suggested switching to matrix at least five times, when the customer clearly wanted to try DeNitrate. I will try it and see what happens.

Sonya

HI Fishloreians, does anyone use a media reactor? If so, what do you put in it, and do you like it? I bought one, kind of on a whim. It's pretty big, it was expensive enough. The concept of reverse filtration seems interesting, not that I really understand it. If anyone has any feedback for me, that would be so helpful! I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or return it yet.

Sonya

HI - I use 2 in my sump for my reef tank. They are the two little fishies reactors. In one I run activated carbon and in the other I run phosban or phosguard depending on what I have on hand to help keep phosphates low. I like 'em.

Good to know. There is surprisingly little information about how to use them. Even in the instructions. Is it a single media usage? Like, I couldn't use both phosguard and DeNitrate?

Mike

I keep only one media type in each reactor. Otherwise the water flow might start channeling thru the media. And I occasionally have to tap the reactor to prevent clumping and channeling in the media. Mixing phosguard with denitrate might cause issues because of the size differences in the granules of each product.

Sonya

Thank you!! This is very useful information.

Cranks_Tanks

I don't recommend media reactors for freshwater tanks unless you have a sump already or no other way to run the media you want to run. I've never heard good things about denitrate or matrix, they seem to be more gimmicky than actually truly effective. Purigen is a magical media, however. It does a really good job at keeping parameters in check and absorbing tannins and all sorts of organics.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindyVBPets
Replies
Views
TwoHedWlf
Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans
Replies
Views