Media for SunSun HW-303B

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by csutter1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. csutter1

csutter1Valued MemberMember

The title pretty much says it all. What are your recommendations for media to use in this canister filter.
    I'm planning on having a 72G bow front with African Cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

3. KareenValued MemberMember

4. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

Specific brand names or general configuration?

5. OP
    OP
    csutter1

Specific brand names. I'm comfortable with the order and configuration. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. KareenValued MemberMember

7. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    csutter1

I like both the Eheim Substrat Pro and Fluval BioMax. Can I use both in my canister, just one type per tray? Or is it best to stick with one type of bio-media?

9. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

Please, do not waste you cash on name brand bio media. You can pick up a large bag of red lava rock at any garden center (Home Depot, Lowe's etc.) for under 5 dollars. This is what I use in mine and it works no different than brand names. There's even a site online that sells the Sun Sun/AquaTops with lava rock as the bio-media. ;)

10. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

It doesn't matter. Seachem Matrix is your best bang for your buck in my opinion.

If you use something like lava rock, not a bad idea, I would make sure you have plenty of pads on the top and the bottom of the tray and put the rock in the middle. That should help reduce the amount of gunk that will get into the rocks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice