media for a DIY filter

ariolex

Hello

I will be doing a DIY filter and I am wondering if my idea of filter media to be used sounds good or if it need some changes

layers:

1. Scotch Brite- I am planning to overlap 2 or 3 of these kitchen sponges as 1st layer of mainly mechanical but also bio filtration (?)

2. plastic scrubbies- as a divider and I assume Bacteria will colonize this too

3. Filter floss- mechanical for fine particles and bio filtration too

4. purigen- for water clarity (which is not an issue atm in my tank) and nitrate removal

5. plastic scrubbies- a final layer basically for bacteria and to have better water flow before the outlet

Some notes/questions:

- As you can see I am expecting biofiltration to happen in layers 1,2, 3 and 5 do you agree that this will happen?

-Is there any problem with the proposed layer sequence? Any suggestions?

- Do You see a problem with using scotch brite as it is not originally intended for aquariums?

- I am hopping that purigen really removes nitrates . I am having problems keeping them under 20ppm given that all of a sudden my tap water has 5-10 ppm

- The intake will have a sponge pre-filter so I don't expect to have to much particles getting inside the filter.

All suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

used2bN2horsesLOL

I tried to find the thread about the member who wiped out their entire tank using a brand new kitchen sponge but I couldn't find it. Something about a chemical on it to keep them from drying out. Personally, I wouldn't risk anything not aquarium safe (except for 100% polyester fiber fill stuffing I use as filter floss). AquaClear sponge inserts can be purchased separately, those might be a better option. Hopefully other members will be able to respond soon. Also, I'm not sure if you mean just the media is what you want to DIY and you're using a powerfilter or canister filter, etc. That might matter.

ariolex

I tried to find the thread about the member who wiped out their entire tank using a brand new kitchen sponge but I couldn't find it. Something about a chemical on it to keep them from drying out. Personally, I wouldn't risk anything not aquarium safe (except for 100% polyester fiber fill stuffing I use as filter floss). AquaClear sponge inserts can be purchased separately, those might be a better option. Hopefully other members will be able to respond soon. Also, I'm not sure if you mean just the media is what you want to DIY and you're using a powerfilter or canister filter, etc. That might matter.

Thanks for the reply. This media arrangement is for a DIY "canister-type" (I guess) I am planning to do. Basically, I will adapt a power head to my sponge filter, a hose attached to the power head filter outlet will push water to the top of a water tight container that holds the media and then it returns to the tank via gravity.

However, the scotch brite I am talking about are the green abbrasive scrubs not really a sponge (the one on the link below) Do you think this one may work or is it still dodgy?

pepetj

If it's 100% synthetic fiber it's likely safe (as far as I know).

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

ariolex

Thanks Pepe

navyscuba

You can add a layer of lava rock. This houses a lot of bacteria colonies.

ariolex

Hola Riv,

I thought of that, and actually I have a 1/4 bag sitting on the backyard, but I read somewhere that they get clogged quite easily. Do you know if that's true?
The one I have is the red ones used for gardening from Home Depot. Are those the ones?

thanks

navyscuba

Hola Riv,

I thought of that, and actually I have a 1/4 bag sitting on the backyard, but I read somewhere that they get clogged quite easily. Do you know if that's true?
The one I have is the red ones used for gardening from Home Depot. Are those the ones?

thanks

That's what I got on my sump.

Wolfy

I have found that this is a great filter media I have a pet shop that sells it before its used

I use that for my first layer it does not clog very easy then a bio pad then bio balls, pad again then ceramic rings, last bio pad and at the top some rough gravel

ariolex

I have found that this is a great filter media I have a pet shop that sells it before its used

I use that for my first layer it does not clog very easy then a bio pad then bio balls, pad again then ceramic rings, last bio pad and at the top some rough gravel

Yeah and if under any circumstances it needs to be replaced you can just do some chips with it....right?

navyscuba

Yeah and if under any circumstances it needs to be replaced you can just do some chips with it....right?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lunas
Replies
Views
johnbirg
Replies
Views
Ariel4891
Replies
Views