Media Directly In Tank? Question

1. Josh Summers Member Member

So I'm getting another tank soon and I want to have as much media ready for it to stock immediately. All my filters are full. And I had a small bag of ceramic rings lefts. So I hung it directly in the aquarium above a air stone. My question is will it do anything? Does it have to have flowing water over it? Cause the air stone provides air and moving water. The bag is hanging in the corner above a air stone. Will it work just by putting it in as substrate? Or what works best. I over packed my filters already so when I get my new tank I can add the media to the new filter and be instantly cycled and I can stock right away

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It should provide enough water movement. You could also get a plastic water bottle/unused glass cup, put the air stone in it and the media beside it. Add a layer of sponge/filter floss on top with a space and you've made yourself a air powered filter.

3. Josh Summers Member Member

I have one of those and it has sponge in it. And I placed the media bag above the air powered filter. I'm just trying to cram all the media I have laying around into all my current tanks. So I can Instant cycle my new tank. I have sponge ready and alot If ceramic rings. But I want to fill the new filter with established media and old tank water and add fish instantly. I have to. The more media I can cycle now I won't have to go through any cycle when I get the new tank.

4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

You can only grow as much beneficial bacteria as the tank provides :) If you have enough bacteria for 5 fish, you won't get bacteria for 10 fish if you add double the amount of media.
    Besides, BB is not exclusively on media but also gravel, plants and deco.

On a positive note, established BB can grow fast if need be.

5. Josh Summers Member Member

The rings should get some bacteria in it thou. Being in the tank and having air and water moving over the bag. Right?

6. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Yes.
    I don't know what kind of rings you have. I have Eheim rings that work more like a mechanical filter, and Eheim balls that work as biological filtration with big surface area for bacteria to attach.