Medaka Killies Tankmates?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 123, Apr 22, 2018.

1. 123Valued MemberMember

Hello :) I have only 3 medaka killies left out of 6 that I started with (the bigger ones kinda bullies the smaller ones or it was male/female ratio issue hmm). But I was wondering, since I upgraded my aquarium today to a bigger one, whether I could add 6 neon tetras or other small school fish? If I do that, would the 3 rice fishes join the new school even if it is different species?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  2. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Kinda depends on the size if the new tank...

3. 123Valued MemberMember

Now it is 15 gallon with 2 honey gourami females and 3 rice fishes. The rice fishes look 'lost' in the new tank. I know it is not best size tank for gouramis, but that's a long story. (They were in 8 gallon until today, so they are happy about the 15 gallon upgrade :) ) But the tank has different light that I had before and it could really use some neon/colorful little school, that is why I dont want to get more rice fishes (if they would do well with other species).

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, with having two gouramis and kilis in a 15g it doesn't leave a lot of room. I'd personally hold back against getting some neons, but rather increasing the medaka school to around 6... even then, I'd encourage upgrading to a larger tank to give all fish a bit more room - they would all appreciate it, and fair a lot better in tanks of 20g and over!

5. 123Valued MemberMember

Oh, I agree that they could use more space, but I cannot effort it space-wise. I wont say it wasnt my responsibility to do prior research, but the petshop told me I could have 3 gouramis and 6 medakas in a 8 gallon tank .... I am just trying to fix this disaster as much as I can :) Male gourami has his own tank (very teritorial) So others got this bigger tank at least :) Thank you for your input, I will stick with the rice fishes then and will just get some more plants instead :)

6. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Medaka Rice fish are not Killies, they simply resemble them due to parallel evolution. Their closest relatives are Needlefish, and Rice fish are Order Beloniformes, Family Adrianichthyidae.

Killifish are Order Cyprinodontiformes, along with many livebearers. They are found in several different families.

I would suggest increasing the Medaka group as well, but the 15 gallon tank is more than adequate for those and Honey Gouramis.

7. 123Valued MemberMember

Thank you for the information! I thought they were killies... and now Im a bit smarter thanks to you! :) I will get 3-5 more rice fishes and more plants. :) The fishes are excited about the 15 gallon, so I think it will keep them happy at least for now :) I am also good at keeping the water in check. I did water changes and gravel cleaning 2x a week when they were in smaller tank. I plan to do it 1x a week now with 15 gallon :) If the water will be fine in long run and fishes will be happy I might think of adding a colorful little fish or something to see what happens (I could always just put it in the second aquarium if it wont work :)

Thank you for your input everyone :)