Med. Sized Centerpiece Fish 30 Gallon Tank

1. Smancer

Smancer New Member Member

Hi guys,

Long story short my 30gal is a fun planted community tank. I got some cardinal tetras, leopard danios, bunch of guppies (most of them not adult yet). I had to rehome 5 of the pregnant female guppies because I don't want my tank to be overcrowded with guppies. I'm allowing the small guppies to grow up in there for now and will rehome more in the future.

Now my mom is sad because she really liked the pregnant guppies because they were chubby and super personable. The remaining fish are hooligans who eat their food and go back to goofing off with their buddies.

Would you be able to recommend any cute medium sized centerpiece fish and how many? They must be personable and can live in peace with the rest of the community.

Thanks!

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

A single angelfish would work.

3. Greg F

Greg F Well Known Member Member

4. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

What temperature is the tank at?

5. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I would get a pair of rams or other dwarf cichlids and you won't be overcrowded with guppy fry :)

6. ciska

ciska Valued Member Member

I second the dwarf gourami! Super peaceful fish in my experience and mine is a real character.. They average about 2.5-3" and are just beautiful to look at. I wouldn't recommend more than one male though.

I had a similar situation with a multitude of baby danios that I had to give away once they got older.

7. OP
    OP
    Smancer

Temperature is set at around 76-77F.

8. visual.lace

visual.lace New Member Member

Depending who you ask, a molly could work. Very personable, might even get a fish kiss if you put your hand in the tank! Some people say they need some salt to thrive, some say they're adaptable from pure fresh to seawater. Also controversial, but the balloon type have the chub appeal, too.

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I really like apistogramma cacatuoides(spell check please) triple red. They are awesome. Triple reds are harder to find though but the normal ones are awesome too.

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies thrive in either brackish water or hard water. My water is hard so it is good to keep mollies in.

11. visual.lace

visual.lace New Member Member

Yeah, I've done fine with mollies in freshwater, but my water is really hard.

12. JLeeM

Bolivian ram maybe?

13. IRTehDar

IRTehDar Valued Member Member

How About 3-5 Platies. They come in a ton of colour variants and are compatible with everything you already have. Just note they are livebearers like your guppies and will breed frantically like guppies if you get both genders. Normally they are not considered a ''centrepiece fish'' but for the small fish you have a nice colourselection of platies will look big and colourful.

14. OP
    OP
    Smancer

Wow thanks for the recommendations! Just quickly browsing pics of them. I'm liking the dwarf gourami, dwarf cichlid, possibly the molly. I guess I'll show pics to my mom and let her pick since I feel bad I took away her favorite guppies.

Ok, now I know this is a weird question but how do each of these fish swim and how fast? I'm hoping these are relaxed swimmers and not all over the place doing 360's and going up and down the tank non stop like the danios and guppies.

Lastly do all of these fish actively go after guppy fry? I put my danio's in there from my other tank in hopes to control the population they only ended up eating the fry that couldn't swim the other fry they end up playing with.haha

Edit: I guess I should add are these fish fine with a moderate flow of water from my HOB filter? My current fish love playing and swimming through the stream.

15. DarkOne

Dwarf cichlids would definitely help your fry population. As JLeeM suggested, check out the Bolivian Ram for your temp range. Watch some videos, they're pretty chill but will go after fry easily.

16. OP
    OP
    Smancer

After a tough decision at the LFS earlier going back and forth for 2 hours between the rams and dwarf gourami, I decided to get a pair of Bolivian Ram's. They are in my quarantine tank now relieving themselves of stress.

I'm guessing their colors will come out more when they mature?

17. DarkOne

Congrats on the new additions! With good quality food and water, they should color up beautifully. If they're young, it would take a few months.

18. JLeeM

Congrats! I'm wanting to get a couple of them myself for my next (hopefully soon up and coming) tank.