Measuring Everything In Cats Now.

david1978

I'm thinking of changing my tank up some. Don't get me wrong I like the stocking but its so limiting on what I can I add. Homes for the bettas shouldn't be too hard to find. The glowlight tetras may have to go too but not sure yet. I'm thinking on basing the tank around a rainbow shark and a pleco. Any ideas? My tank is 1.19047619 hogs head big. Ok 75 gallons. Lol

Ohio Mark

Hogshead? We are now "doing" hogsheads? LOL!

david1978

The tanks 0.242424 rods long and 0.0909091 rods wide.

Ohio Mark

david1978 said:
The tanks 0.242424 rods long and 0.0909091 rods wide.
And that would be ?????? cubits?

david1978

11 cubits in a rod. So 2.66667 cubits long.

Fashooga

How many stones does your tank weigh?

ValerieAdams

Ohh my goodness hahaha. A rainbow shark would be cool! Do you think it might try to fight the pleco?

Also, I don't know what a cubit is. Please convert that to a different measurement

david1978

Fashooga said:
How many stones does your tank weigh?
Should be around 53.5714 stones.

david1978

ValerieAdams said:
Ohh my goodness hahaha. A rainbow shark would be cool! Do you think it might try to fight the pleco?

Also, I don't know what a cubit is. Please convert that to a different measurement
Its 4 engineers links long .
I never had one go after a pleco before .

ValerieAdams

david1978 said:
Its 4 engineers links long .
I never had one go after a pleco before .
Oh.. that is so much more clear.

I was just wondering because I saw on seriously fish it mentioned it might be territorial towards catfish.

david1978

Sorry it way too fun. Lol.
Its just a standard 75 gallon. 48" x 18".
In my experience it never went after any fish any more then just running them off their yard. Think get off my lawn you darn kids. Lol

Platylover

Ok, I don’t understand any of these measurements. Can you please tell me how many cats your tank is? Cats are the best way to measure liquids.

Well, for my 65g I’m doing something rather similar, this is the stock I’m going for-
8 bosamani
10 black rubies
1 LDA08
1 rainbow shark

Although, I think i’d love to do an aquarium with afb, one of my bucket list fish. If I were to do a new tank I believe I’d do an afb and a few larger/docile schoolers with perhaps a pleco. I think it’d make a lovely tank and be quite beautiful.

david1978

Its more then 12 cats. That's all the cats we have and they all fit. The poor things almost drowned and really scared the fish.

david1978

I think I have it. A cat is now officially half a gallon.

Platylover

david1978 said:
Its more then 12 cats. That's all the cats we have and they all fit. The poor things almost drowned and really scared the fish.
Yes, that’s the only downside to measuring with cats. Even though cats are liquid themselves, they aren’t big fans of being in other liquids.

Still the most accurate way to measure though.

david1978 said:
Oh yes, thank you. That’ll help me so much when I see people speaking in gallons. Now I can just convert it into cats!

david1978

This ones actually scientific.

Samanthaljay

I’m just here for the comments lol

ETNsilverstar

david1978 said:
You must have some small cats!! Two of mine are at least 3/4 of a gallon and one is...probably more than a gallon. And the one I grew up with was DEFINITELY two gallons.

david1978

After farther research. The average house cat weighs 8.6 pounds. So a cat is a gallon. Guess we do have small cats. Lol

ValerieAdams

I like to measure in dogs though.. 1 dog equals 29 gallons and two dogs equal 55 gallons. But only if the dogs are 9.3 cats in pounds.

ETNsilverstar

david1978 said:
After farther research. The average house cat weighs 8.6 pounds. So a cat is a gallon. Guess we do have small cats. Lol
Well in that case, my old cat was nearly 2.5 gallons. Too bad we didn't know he'd be so perfect for fish tank maintenance! XD

ETNsilverstar

ValerieAdams said:
I like to measure in dogs though.. 1 dog equals 29 gallons and two dogs equal 55 gallons. But only if the dogs are 9.3 cats in pounds.
Our neighbor's dog would only be 2 or 3 cats...

ValerieAdams

ETNsilverstar said:
Our neighbor's dog would only be 2 or 3 cats...
Wow.. only a 2-3 cat dog (17.2-25.8 pound dog). That's worthless for measuring in dog..

David.. I think you should change this into a thread titled "accurate measurements" and start a different one for your tank hahaha

ETNsilverstar

ValerieAdams said:
Wow.. only a 2-3 cat dog (17.2-25.8 pound dog). That's worthless for measuring in dog..
Yeah, it's some type of pomeranian. If we start measuring in teacup dogs, they're only half a cat max.

david1978

I might but this thread is getting funny.

ValerieAdams

ETNsilverstar said:
Yeah, it's some type of pomeranian. If we start measuring in teacup dogs, they're only half a cat max.
Teacup dog - .5 gallons
Cat - 1 gallon
Fat cat - 2.5 gallons
Pomeranian - 3 gallons
Dog - 29 gallons
Two dogs - 55 gallons

I'm rolling y'all

david1978

Ok since we have the gallon thing now we need lengths.
Google says 18" average.

ValerieAdams

david1978 said:
I've heard through the grapevine that a 5 gallon is about 5 kuhlI loaches long and a 100 gallon is a grapevine long

Platylover

The only problem with measuring in dog is the fact they aren't liquid. While dogs are a good alternative if no cats are available, they simply aren't as accurate. Cat's are able to become the liquid of the tank, thus giving a very accurate measurement.

Dogs are a solid and while giving a good measurement, it will not be accurate.

Now, what I see a lot is in larger tanks people will use the dogs to measure simply because 1 dog is an easier measurement vs 10 cats. What I think many of us forget is the fact that there is more than one species of cat. For the larger tanks I propose we measure in tigers. Now this is actually a great way to measure as the tigers love water! they'll be more than happy to go for a little swim in a tank.

As for lengths, well there's quite a few good ways to go. One of my personal favorites is measuring with Pythons. They are typically large enough to simply wrap themselves around the aquarium and give you a full tank measurement in one go.

KuhlI loaches are a great way to go for the smaller aquariums.

david1978

I'm thinking my tank would be 1 and half tigers.

david1978

You are sounding like too much of an expert on this.

david1978

Platylover

david1978 said:
Oh you didn't know I'm a world renowned animal-measurtoligist?

ETNsilverstar

david1978 said:
Google says 18" average.
For cats? I think it depends on how much you're measuring. Nose to tail? Neck to butt? And long fur or short fur? The extra fur makes a difference, especially if we start measuring in cat widths.

WTFish?

Haha. I’m digging this thread! I’m guessing you live up yonder, ‘round that there hill , just past that dead ‘possum?

ETNsilverstar

WTFish? said:
Haha. I’m digging this thread! I’m guessing you live up yonder, ‘round that there hill , ust past that dead ‘possum?
And left at the starbucks.

WTFish?

ETNsilverstar said:
And left at the starbucks.
Our local coffee shop sign says “our coffee has more stars for less bucks!” Lol They are directly across the street from Starbucks.

david1978

Well you go to were the white picket fence used to be and make right. Then were the big oak tree was and take a left. After you pass the house that burned down years ago your only a few hectors away.

WTFish?

david1978 said:
Well you go to were the white picket fence used to be and make right. Then were the big oak tree was and take a left. After you pass the house that burned down years ago your only a few hectors away.
By golly!

david1978

So who's going to be the first to ask a new member how many cats their tank is? Or how many khulI loaches long?

WTFish?

david1978 said:
So who's going to be the first to ask a new member how many cats their tank is? Or how many khulI loaches long?
Ask Fanatic to make it part of the template!

Platylover

david1978 said:
I feel like scarface might if he's seen the thread lol. Whoever it is, I look forward to seeing the confusion unravel hah.

david1978

AJE would be another one.

Galathiel

You left something out of the directions. I know in my husband's neck of the woods (Cali) they would say "turn left at the bum".

Now, personally, I like to measure in German Shepherds. My GSD equals 11.25 gallons. Easy peasy.

WTFish?

Galathiel said:
You left something out of the directions. I know in my husband's neck of the woods (Cali) they would say "turn left at the bum".

Now, personally, I like to measure in German Shepherds. My GSD equals 11.25 gallons. Easy peasy.
I’m from Ca, and “left at the bum” would be very confusing....which bum? One on every corner!

Galathiel

Ha! He was from Huntington Beach. Maybe they had a stationary, landmark/type bum there that was locally well known.

WTFish?

Galathiel said:
Ha! He was from Huntington Beach. Maybe they had a stationary, landmark/type bum there that was locally well known.
Ohhhh, yes only one bum in Huntington. The fancy bum, not those ghetto kind. Lol

david1978

I'm from rural Pennsylvania we don't have bums. We use crazy peoples houses as landmarks.

Platylover

david1978 said:
I'm from rural Pennsylvania we don't have bums. We use crazy peoples houses as landmarks.
"Take a right at the pink three story house shaped like a puzzle piece"

sinned4g63

Following this for the hilarity.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom