measure my fish?

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
another dumb question from a newby...apparently I am a bad guesser at how long my fish are...do you stick a ruler in there? wait till they swim by? chase them with it? ha ha (i'm kidding there)...my boyfriend always says my fish are longer than my estimate, so now I want to know - for sure - so I don't overstock. thanks!
Denise

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When you research your fish, the profiles will usually tell you the adult size of the fish. When you measure, don't include the tail.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
not even my pleco's tail? it takes up a good bit! thanks Gunnie!
Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What I do is I look at my ruler and then at a particular fish I want to measure. Then I guess, more or less, what its size is. But a far better way to know your fish sizes is - as Gunnie has said - to simply look up the same species online and see what their adult sizes are.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its not the current size of your fish that should be taken into consideration for stocking limits, its the adult size of the fish.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks, Boxermom..that was where I was getting confused..I've been online looking up all my fish and now i've got my list of what they'll be as adults, and can plan accordingly. thanks ya'll
Denise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom