Mean Eater (molly)

1. Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

Hey everyone...

So I have this female silver Molly that thinks she is the queen of the tank lol (I have 1 Cory n 1 Pleco (yes I just found out I have to rehome my Pleco cuz he is getting too big and get more Cory cuz they are schooling fish) and their food is just tropical fish flakes and an Alger waffer...

Now my Molly LOVESSSS to eat she eats her flakes up top but then come down n starts eating the w affer n if Cory Catfish comes by she fights him away...she even tries to fight my Pleco who is waayyy bigger than her. But Pleco doesn't give way and scares her but she keeps picking at the waffer even off the Pleco has it in his mouth...

Any tips on feeding my fish especially if I wanna get more Cory n another molly..
    20180517_122948.jpg

2. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

Feed your bottom dwellers just before or just after you turn the lights off.

Edit: distract the molly at one side and feed the Cory and pleco on the other side so the molly doesn't see their food floating down.

3. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

Ive tried feeding her first n while she eating on one side I drop a w affer o the other side but it seems like she can smell it. Right when it touches the bottom she is looking for it

4. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

Do you do this right before you turn the lights off?

5. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

I've turned the lights off before and after...my Cory really doesn't eat the waffer (very small piece or the whole piece) he will just go right over it...pleco will suck on it for a bit then leaves

6. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

Just went and reread that you're feeding algae wafers. Do you feed any protein based wafers for the Cory? The majority of their diet should be meat based. That could be why he's not eating much of the wafer.

7. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

Oh that's probably why...Ok I'll go and try some...any brands that u recommend??

8. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

I feed frozen blood worms, frozen Brine shrimp, and frozen daphnia once a week. I believe the daphnia is omega one brand and the others are the store's brand (Big Al's).

I started out using national geographic shrimp pellets but recently added in omega one shrimp pellets as their ingredients seem to be better. Their everyday staple is hikari sinking wafers.

When choosing food look at the first 4-7 ingredients and pick the ones that have good protein based. For example: herring, shrimp, cod before any fillers.

9. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

Good to know thanks!!

10. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

You're welcome!

11. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

I feed my corys Omega One shrimp pellets. They love them!

12. OscarHoya

OscarHoya Initiate Member

Our Dalmation Mollies do the same thing. The Cory is always scavenging so I'm not too worried. But we also have a couple Plattys that seem to be a little shy. I kinda took the survival of the fittest approach. Everyone is doing fine.

13. OP
    OP
    Marta Z.

Marta Z. Initiate Member

I had some platys also n she was always nit picking at them also...she is go greeding ...I wish I can post videos to show everyone lol

14. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Member Member

I just had to return and exchange a female Molly bc she would let anyone else eat except the gourami