Mean angel

1. Captain Jim Initiate Member

Recently, I acquired some young platinum angels..now have two spawning pairs, and four "singles..My problem is the largest of the four has a mean streak, and constantly intimidates and harasses tankmates. How does one try to alter his attitude?

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Let us know all the water parameters, too. Pics are always very useful. Maybe we can put the clues together and come up with some possible answers.

3. Captain Jim Initiate Member

Right now he is with four "smokies" and another platinum a little smaller than he. All fish are similar age,though he is a bit larger.They are currently in a 29 gallon sparsely decorated . I have a 55 ready for moving everyone away from him,..Water temp is 81 degrees, my water is a little hard and ph is about 7.4.The plat I thought he had taken up with spends too much time behind a slate,..I believe I'm going to segregate him awhile to his own 15 gallon.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You have 6 angels in a 29 gallon? There's your problem, they haven't enough space or hiding places to get away from each other especially if some pair off.
    Imo a 29 is only big enough for 2 angels at a push, I would definitely move some to the 55 as soon as it's ready.

5. Captain Jim Initiate Member

I agree the 29 is too small long term..the smokies were just moved in couple days ago when a pair of smokies paired off and laid. The two plats were in 29 because I thought they had paired..maybe they had, and bigger fish too pushy, but I don't think so.But, I thought with some distraction, plat may relax,..nope. Yes, I'll move the smokies out and the aggressor must be by himself awhile,..because he was already cowing the other plat before the smokies introduced. Thank you Coradee