Me, the Grandma? 55 Gallon Tank

1. yukoandk Member Member

Me, a Grandma?

Hello everyone!

Well, my last post about spawning activity in my goldfish tank (https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/goldfish/57530-ongoing-spawning-action.html) was almost a month ago, and I should've known...I have goldfish grandkids now! Since then I had put a divider in my tank to separate Jill the red cap oranda because she was just getting too beaten up. But then, there was Deme, the female black moor still hanging out with the boys.

Shortly after, I found these tiny things spinning around in the water. I freaked thinking they were some kind of parasites, but upon a close inspection, I found lots of eggs all over the tank and realized they were baby goldfish. I didn't really have any plan to breed goldfish, but out of curiousity I separated several of the babies into a small container.

The original fry are about a week and a half old now, but I keep finding newly hatched ones every 4 days or so, and I can't resist scooping them out to save them. They are still in a small container, and at the rate they are growing, I'll have to come up with a plan for them, fast!

And I thought I'd take a good care of my tank and live happily ever after with my 5 goldfish... Life is funny like that. It'll be fun to watch what kind of goldfish they grow to be. Is Jill the mom, or is it Deme? Who's the biggest womanizer in the tank?

So, here are my grandkids! (day 2 and day 12)

Attached Files:

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations! Goldfish fry. How cool!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How cute! Look at their big eyes! Congratulations. :)

4. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!
    Can't wait to hear how this goes :D

5. jana Member Member

Congrats on the fry! :)

6. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Isn't it fun? I have some of my sister's goldie/shubunkin fry in my pond now. The fun part is to watch and see which ones are goldie, and which are shubunkin. She used an inflatable family size swimming pool as her "fry tank", but I'm not sure you could do that going into winter. They will need a lot of room since they are already little pooping machines. My sister had major ammonia issues with her fry at first. She even tried my 40 gallon breeder tank for a while, and it was too small to handle the bioload. You may need to use tubs inside and split up the babies into smaller groups for the bio load.

Good luck! and I look forward to pics as they grow!

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah!!!!! Congrats on the new additions! Great photos.
    Please keep us posted on their progress.
    Ken

8. yukoandk Member Member

Thank you all!

I'm thinking about sticking a breeder container type of thing or two inside the main tank and keeping the fry in there for a little while. That'll buy me some time to set up a tank for them. From what I've read, fry are sensitive and need a lot of special care, but I'm surprised to find out these grandkids are actually tough little buggers! They are growing up a storm in their little container!

Thanks again, I'll let you know how they do!

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

congratulations!!!

10. kelsangdol Member Member

Congratz! Are going to keep them?