me and my best friend algae... i dont like him though!!!

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys sorry have been away for quite a while, been home to new zealand for a wedding and a bit of a frolic too!!!!

anyway lately i have been having problems with my friend algae, she is everywhere plants(plastic ,sorry!!) glass, orniments, and even the gravel i also have bigger rocks in there and they are smeared in algae like someone painted them with special algae paint!!!!

so will a black out cut the mustard, i do not have any algae eating fish in there(yet) they are quite some time away... all my readings are picture perfect. i have my lights on a 5 on 2 off 5 on set up i have 3x30w fluro tubes in there and have switched one off . i have been cycled for almost a month i have 6 gold barbs and 10 neon tetras for now that is there is more on the way of course!!!! it is a 67g tank with 2 mega filters doing their thing... and now boom!!!!! this..

so where am i at and what am i to do all suggestions are going to be tried so tell me them all

thank as always my fishloreans, its so good to be back!!!!

rgards Dazzler!!! i think this is my biggest thread yet must be back with a vengence!!!!! yee haaaaaa!!!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi welcome back, i think u should keep aquarium lights off for a few days. u can put some algae eaters like cory cats..................

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah i know, about cories but they wont be going in for a while. i want to rid the algae as soon as i can. so alae eaters ar out for a while. so wher can i go from here. what other solutions are possible. i know of a blackout which is coll by me but does it kill all the algae it is on the gravel too the ornaments and the fake plents

what to do whre to go

thanks as always
regards Dazzler

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys don't eat Algae. First- WELCOME BACK! Now then a total black out after a large water change should do the trick for you. Black it out, cover the tank if you have to,for about three days then do another large water change to get all the dead algae out. while you were out frolicing the fish were busy making extra nutrients to feed your algae
carol

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
ah thanks butterfly, you my dear are a legend in my book anyway!!!! ah black out it is then! 3 days lights off then a 50 per cent water change. im also thinking otocinclus when that done. and also a change of gravel type for the blue gravel i have it seems to love the algae. i
is this likely to happen again what major factors start the breeding of algae or is it just something you get for time to time its silly hot in australia right now and water temp is 83 deg F or 30 deg C is that not helping i gather. time to get the paint out and paint the outside of the tank black....... be gone algae fly away!!!!...

just joking about the black paint, it will probably be brown paint or a black rubbish bag

thanks butterfly as always

regards Dazzler

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had this problem not that long ago. I will tell you what I did, and hopefully it will work for you like it did for me.

I started by doing a water change of about 30-35%
Then I covered my tank in blankets for 3 days, with no lights just complete pitch black.
I also cut their food in half.
After the 3 days were up I took the blankets off and scrubbed the tank, then performed another 30% water change.

Now, no algae.

Hope this helps! It worked for me. I have also upped my water changes to every 3 or 4 day as my nitrate levels are high
right now (but I'm working on changing that with some new plants on the way).

Cheers!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ahhh dazzler :-* :-* :-* so glad to see you back! Extra nutrients in your tank(fish waste, extra food etc.) and light really send your friendly algae into huge growth spurts. So do a water change before the black out and a large one after the black out. Icicle has it right also about the food, your lovely fish probably could do with a bit less food(I know they beg). Since it's so hot there right now the dark garbage bag is probable a better idea that the blanket(but close all the light out you can)
Otos are a great idea! They eat algae of all kinds as well as food that drops to the bottom. Their a great clean up crew and enjoy veggie wafers and shrimp pellets as well.
Carol

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks so much Miss Icicle and Miss Butterfly i am off tomorrow to get me a black rubbish bag or three and some tape to get this thing happening.

you cannot go past this forum for the best of advice

thanks again Dazzler

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi dazzler, after you have sent your friend packing, and can get some otoes, you will be totally amazed at how they work for you, a crew of about 5 take up NO room, and really are wizards at getting into every nook and cranny.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom