Me Again...could A Ph Rise/ Drop Kill My Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by emfish, May 18, 2018.

1. e

emfish Valued Member Member

Hi Guys,

Its Emfish again... My 55g was going through the deaths in the tank, initially thought columnaris, strain 1 as there were no signs of disease on the fish, then thought maybe anaerobic gas pockets but i regularly move my sand.... could it be the pockets is another question i have please?

Anyway....
    I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what could be the cause of the deaths... Now... the only other thing i think it could be is PH... my PH sits around 8 (i think, haven't tested it recently, but will check when i get home) I am using the pozzani nitrate remover filter paired with the python water changer however, im now thinking... what if the pozzani filter which i use to remove my nitrates from the tap (i live in the UK- high nitrates in tap water) could be altering my PH and when i do a 50% water change weekly it shocks the fish?

I have never had a problem with my PH before and this water change yesterday did not affect my female guppies or mollies in my 30g, in fact it cleared up what looked to be fungus.... But im at a loss at to what else it could be? I done a 45% water change yesterday on my 55g and now one of my guppies seems to be at the top of the tank, not looking too great??

I have never altered my PH as i worry that the change could kill the fish, so i just leave it be.... as it is fine with the other tanks.... i'm thinking maybe the guppies which are dying in my 55g from an aquatics shop are not as hardy as the ones i get from Pets at Home- so they cant cope with changes in water. Should i change my water changes to 2 25% a week or is 1 50% okay?

Been keeping fish for over a year now, and like to believe i am quite knowledgeable about the hobby, but i'm stumped on this one.....

Can someone give some insight into this please?
    Emily

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Drastic changs in PH will quickly shock and kill your fish. Test the water before and after a water change. If it is the PH, I'd lower the water changes to small amounts a couple times a week.
    Sorry I don't know anything about the bubble issue.

3. OP
    OP
    e

Thank you Bry! Ill check it next time i do a water change!

4. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

No worries! If it isn't the PH, I'm sure someone else could help you fix it. I figured my little chime in could potentially help, if that is the problem lol

5. OP
    OP
    e

one of my male mollies in my 55g is staying near the top of the tank now, and one of my male guppies seems to have contracted swim bladder and may be dead.... my mum said hes in the trees but she cant tell. All of this has happened after a water change, but only in 1 tank, not my other 2 i dechlorinated the water but what could it be..... someone please help me i cant keep watching my fish die......

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Double check the temp? High temps also lead to low oxygen. Could be a parasite with no outward visible signs.. maybe treat with kanapax? Just guessing.

7. OP
    OP
    e

Hi @TexasGuppy, thank you for replying, we originally thought a parasite or columnaris, but why is it still occurring, especially after a water change i really dont know what to do.... im treating with protozin as i can't get kanaplex in this country... i live in the uk im not sure what more i could possibly do for them....

8. TexasGuppy

Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria.
    Water changes will not remove it.
    According to this website, you should use
    MYXAZIN

9. OP
    OP
    e

Thank you @TexasGuppy i have this at home, ill put it in after i finish this protozin treatment

10. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

tap water is pH range 6.5-8.5 a 2 pH unit change isnt drastic but it is a change. You would have to have a huge change in pH to cause a shock to the system. Check your tap water before you add it to your tank, Im intrested in the numbers.

11. TexasGuppy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice