Mbuna tank

1. FishhsiF0987 Member Member

Have an african cichlid tank. I would like to remodel it in a way that it has less caves. How pivotal is it that i have hiding spots? They hardly use the ones i have anyways. Thanks!

2. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

LeoDiaz may be able to help. Can you provide a picture of your tank? What size is the tank? What fish do you have? How many male & female if each type?
    Welcome to the forum!

3. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Depends on the type of africans.

4. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

The biggest thing for mbuna is to have lots of rock work to break up the landscape. Mine actually use the caves.

What are your thoughts for new deco?

5. FishhsiF0987 Member Member

Just a lot of drift wood and a few rocks; i want too make it look natural

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The rocks are not there to break up the landscape, they're so each fish can claim a hole as a little territory if it feels the need to get into a safe place. The rocks need to be built up in a pile rather than spread out. Wood would also work if it provides nooks and crannies that are big enough (but small enough to defend) but there isn't much wood in Lake Malawi, it's all sand and rocks.

Is the water hard and alkaline?

7. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Driftwood will lower your ph. What is your ph out of tap?
    You could add some coral to boost the ph and work in some natural looking rock formations.

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

That's why I asked if the water was hard and alkaline (which it needs to be for Malawis). Wood won't lower the pH of hard water.

:)

9. tfreema Well Known Member Member

That is good to know!

My ph out of tap is about 7.8, kh and gh (100ish) are in the moderate range. Since that is the lowest I would want for my mbunas, I added crushed coral to the filter to boost a little and so I could have driftwood for my bn pleco in the tank.