Mbuna Tank - Wrong One In The Group... Question

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by AlexAlex, Dec 3, 2012.

1. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have had my 4 groups of 6 each for a while now. I have 6 Blue Cobalts, 6 Orange Zebras, 6 Yellow Labs and 5 Albino Redtops.

Here is my scenario. I just realized that one of the Redtop's is actually a pure Socolofi Albino. It doesn't have the redtop fins at all, just all white.

Now that I only have 5 Redtops and 1 Albino Socolofi - Do I need to get 5 more Socolofi's and 1 more Redtop to make it all balanced? Or, does it not matter at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Alex :)

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I think you have enough white in the tank that it won't matter that one is all white. Expecially if the socolofi schools with the redtops

3. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Send pics!

4. OP
    OP
    A

AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

That's what I kind of thought, too.

And on pictures, I'll have to take some new ones. I will have them posted soon. :)

5. OP
    OP
    A

Below is a picture of the pure white albino Mbuna. I'll be posting a video of the fish tank in full a little later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  6. Mer-max

Is that a yellow lab blurry In the top left?

7. OP
    OP
    A

Sure is. I have 6 of the Yellow Labs. I think that is the biggest one that is blurred in the picture.

8. Mer-max

Awesome!

9. hssea

hsseaWell Known MemberMember

I have four albino scolofi's ....they are very peaceful. Have no idea if they are male or female. Haven't seen any aggression from / towards them. If yours a female I would think everything would be fine. ...don't know it its a male though.

10. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I think you'll be fine.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks, Disc.

Hssea - I'm not sure yet, but it looks as if it's a female, but can't be for sure.

12. hssea

hsseaWell Known MemberMember

How do you tell the male from the female on the albino's ?

13. OP
    OP
    A

The only way to know for sure is to vent the Mbuna. Egg spots are an okay way to give you an idea but its not fool proof.

14. Mer-max

What egg spots?

15. OP
    OP
    A

On the tail fin there are colored spots (sometimes one, sometimes two or three). Those are sometimes signs of which ones are female or male. If I can recall, it's less of them for females and more for males. But, remember, it's definitely not a for sure sign. The venting is the only true way to definitely tell.

16. Mer-max

Ok. So 3 would be female?

17. OP
    OP
    A

It's possible. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice