Mbuna Tank (24 Mbunas and Others) 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by AlexAlex, Dec 3, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Updated Video of my Mbuna Tank. I had issues with the adjustments on the video cam, so I apologize if you get a headache... lol

[video=youtube;1ZR8-XWyQoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZR8-XWyQoY&feature=g-upl[/video]

2. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Nice clear video and very nice tank. I've always liked cichlids, but I could never
    keep them.

3. hssea

hssea Well Known Member Member

Love the rock pile , perfect for your mbuna's . I've been dealing with malawi bloat. That exactly sure what caused it...my water is pristine. So it's gotta be overfeeding (was feeding x3 day what they could eat in 30 seconds) or having 2 male mbamba's. The sub dominant male was affected first, then it spread through the tank with two days. Lost the first male and then the other male . Spent $40.00 on medication. grrr. The dominant male I lost was gorgeous. I'll have to wait till spring its really cold here now before order some replacements. Now I'm feeding once per day in case it was the feeding.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks, Ziabas. It's really not that difficult to keep them, as long as you have a balanced pH in their range, feed them the right food, keep water changes up, etc, then all is good.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I only feed my twice a day, but it's very little amounts. The only reason I started feeding them twice (in very small amounts) is to keep their aggression down. I haven't had any bloating issues so far.

I think, too, it's that I'm feeding them really high quality food (the correct ingredients). That makes a big difference, IMO.

6. hssea

hssea Well Known Member Member

I ordered some high quality food online. After ordering I saw that one is 33% protein and the other 44% protein...then I read somewhere that we should keep protein below 40%. Both were flake foods, then a friend gave me some Tetra pellets....so I tried them (to see if they would like it...very dumb idea, of course they like them...and its not high quality and they were probably old). That was a 5-6 days before the bloat...guess I'll never know if it was those pellets that caused all the problems. I did read in all my research about malawi bloat that a lot of cases have been attributed to pellets (readings suggest you soak all pellets before feeding, so they don't swell in the intestines). I sure wish I knew that before hand. Also once a week I'm now feeding deshelled mashed peas. Also having some of the medicine always on hand in case it ever happens ago. And look out everyday for the symptoms. I might have been able to catch it before I lost the two males if I knew what to look for . There are alot of good articles about it if your not familiar with it.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Tetra Food is not good for them. I order my food from   The best place to order from. It's much cheaper, much higher quality with the right amount of protein and fats.

I feed mine the frozen peas that you get in the bags. It doesn't have all that junk in them like the cans do.

On the bloating, I have read tons of information about it. It can be a big problem in Mbunas especially. I'm sorry to hear that you lost two males. It's not easy losing any fishes in general as it is.

On the flake food, I feed my Mbunas the Veggie flakes every other day or so, and on the Cichlid Pellets, I feed them less of that, but every night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice