Mbuna Suggestions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Friends.NotFood., Apr 19, 2018.

1. Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood. Valued Member Member

I’m currently stocking a 55 gallon Mbuna tank. So far I have 5 fish: orange blotch, demasoni, bumblebee, auratus, and a powder blue. (I know the OB is a peacock but he’s the biggest in the tank so there’s no aggression towards or from him) can anyone send me a list of as many Mbuna as you can so I can see what I have to choose from?

2. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

That bumblebee if he's a Male is going to be a bully....I would suggest some acei but again I worry about that bumblebee....i have a 150 with acei and a nearly 10 inch venustus Male who gets bullied by my nearly jet black bumblebee male

3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Here you go, it even includes links to information pages!

My personal favorite Mbuna is the Jallo reef. A little harder to come by and a little more expensive, but a rare and cool looking fish. It's not included on the list either.

4. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

Uh oh. I might have to return him. I believe he is male he has the egg spots on his anal fin

5. Ernest Sacco

I would....honestly I'd say he gets too big for a 55...mine is hovering at about 6.5 inches and he is nearly an inch thick.....I had two healthy acei who used to chase each other all around the tank...well one day I accidentally initiated spawning behavior after a water change by putting warm batter back into the tank....that night the bumblebee went crazy and beat up my dominant Male acei so bad he is now crippled and can't really swim right anymore...they are one of the most aggressive African cichlids I've ever encountered....and my large venustus (profile pic of him) even bows to the bumblebee

6. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Wow, we were gonna pick one up when we were setting up our current 125 African tank. Guess i'm pretty glad we didn't do that.

7. Ernest Sacco

I started out with two....he killed the other one....keeping them is possible but you defienelty need a harem of females for a single Male

8. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

That’s crazy. I didn’t know they were so aggressive. He’s really the only one that picks on my venustus so maybe I’ll get rid of him instead of my venustus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice