40 Gallon Tank Mbuna redo? If possible

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have just discovered the 55gal I was getting for free today has turned into a 40gal without a cover or light. Question is this:

Will I still be able to do an Mbuna setup in a 40gal(obviously not as many)?

If not, are there other suitable cichlids I can keep a decent amount of in a 40 without violently overstocking it?

sigh....."It's a 55 gallon we don't use anymore and you can have it!" :-\

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
38Wx12Dx20H Rounded to the nearest inch. I believe it is technically a 38 gallon.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What a dissapointment that must have been to find out. I would have to say that it isn't big enough for Mbuna.

Perhaps a Tanganyika set up would be the way to go. You could do something like:

1 x Fairy Cichlid (Neolamprologus Brichardi)
6 x Black-Finned Cichlid (Cyprichromis Nigripinnis)
1 x Lemon Cichlid (Neolamprologus Leleupi)
3 x Brown Julie (Julidochromis Dickfeldi) OR 3 x Black & white Julie (Julidochromis Transcriptus)
2 x Ocellated Shell-Dweller (Lamprologus Ocellatus)

Provided good filtration & plenty of shells & rockwork, that list could work nicely in 40gal. There are a variations on that stock list but if you want cichlids in 40gal, then I think a Tanganyika set up is the way to go.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good stuff, ty again Nutter

Edit: Wow after doing a little googling some of these are very nice! I don't think I have ever seen any of them at the LFS's though. Are these common or a harder to find species?

I REALLY like the Fairies as well as the Black Finned with some color and the Black and White Julies. But I have never seen these for sure.

Edit #2 Have been talking with the wife and are now discussing breeding Angels lol. Would this be a problem in a 40?

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Breeding Angels in a 40gal should be fine so long as you pay attention to the usual compatability & aggression issues with Angels.

The fish I mentioned are quite common but some LFS don't stock them as they don't sell as well as Malawi Mbuna. People always seem to think Mbuna when they think African cichlid tank. Ask at your LFS & they might be able to order them for you or they can be ordered from online suppliers. I can't make a recommendation for an online supplier as I don't oreder anything live online but there should be a few other members that can recommend a good place to deal with.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just found a breeder actually minutes from my house on a local aquarium club website. He is having an open house today(I missed) and tomorrow(Sunday) from noon to 4 and I'm going to have a look. His prices look a bit high but we'll see what he's got, and he did have a small list of Tanganyikain's. Here's a link but I don't think I noticed any of yours on there?

On a side note, I think I have convinced my wife that buying a lid/light/filter/heater for our new 40 may run close to what we could pay for a Aqueon deluxe with everything but the stand included. Here's a link to the sale I was checking out. Note the prices are tanks only but for about $15-$20 more they sell the deluxe versions which are also 40% off I kinda had my eye on that 75

Geez, I'm turning into BolivianBaby >

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not familiar with all of the fish on that breeders list but I do know that all Tropheus species are highly aggressive & very active. A minimum 65gal species tank is best for them IMO to cope with thier activity level & aggressive nature. Aulonocranus Dewindti get to around 5" I believe so would probably also need more room than a 40gal has to offer. I think they are fairly peacefull on african cichlid standards. Julidochromis Regani also get to about 5". I would regard that as a maybe for 40gal but would really think that 55 is the minimum. The Lamprologus occelatus would be fine as they are one of the smaller Shell Dwellers at just 2.5". They would be in danger of being eaten if anything. The other fish I'm not familiar with I'm afraid.

Those tanks are at good prices. I'd be snapping up one of those 75's.

Last edited:

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here here on the 75 lol. Well I thank you yet again for your help Nutter! You have saved me a ton of headaches I'm sure

Edit: <-------Hey look I'm a fish helper lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom