Mbuna Help !! 2 males acting distressed !!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by hssea, Nov 25, 2012.

1. hssea

hsseaWell Known MemberMember

My two yellow finned mbamba males are acting distressed !!! Hiding in caves, not coming out to eat, breathing rapidly. Everyone else is doing fine.

Tank History:
    Added the following to cycled tank on 11/6:
    6 yellow labs (1m/5f)
    4 scolofi (unsexed juvies)
    6 yellow fin mbamba's (2m / 4f)

I've checked water quality every 2-3 days with a API test kit (always 0/0/5).
    I noticed that the sub dominant male has been hiding a bit more last few days...but still came out to swim and eat. The brighter color male always made himself visible. This morning I didn't pay to much attention to the fish and did my weekly water change (so not sure if the same behavior was there before the water change). Anyway did about a 35-40% water change using a python, added water back near same temp (by checking with thermometer from the sink). Added prime (double dose). Afterwards noticed the 2 males not swimming around ....this evening found them both in a cave in same corner. I thought maybe one was holding the other hostage, so I moved a few rocks and got them to separate....now both are hiding in their own little cave else where. On both of them there is No physical damage , not even a frayed fin...nothing !! Not sure what is going on , very distressing.

I don't have another tank....Just used a extra 5 gallon for a betta last week. And loaned out a extra 10 gallon, should get back next week though. Extra tank is on my christmas list....and of course I could use one now !!!

2. OP
    OP
    hssea

I notice they have white lips ! Not fuzzing, or growth like...more like they are wearing lipstick !! They do like to graze on the rocks a lot (got diatoms all over the rock)

3. OP
    OP
    hssea

DSC02600 (800x600).jpg
    One of the males that is acting strange (he only started swimming towards me cause I was tapping on the glass to get a better look at him)

Below are pics of some other fish (they are acting fine..but have the white on their lips)
    DSC02601 (800x600).jpgDSC02596.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    hssea

The male (top pic) above passed away last night. The other male doesn't look like he is going to make it. I have no idea what to do.....the one that passed had no visible damage, illness, nothing. I've read more about the bits of white on their lips and it seems that is just from grazing on the rocks.

5. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear of your loss, how are the rest doing at the moment. i am scratching my head for what can be wrong.

6. OP
    OP
    hssea

Lost the other male yesterday. Other symptoms started appearing . Female mbamba's bellies are swollen. And couple of Labs have hair like poop. Both the labs and mbamba aren't swimming around normally. Feed some peas this morning ...labs and scolofi ate them. Googled and sounds like Malawi Bloat....so I started them on Metronidazole.

Unfortunately from what i'm reading this is a really bad thing and doesn't always have a good outcome. I'm just sick about it .....I've done everything by the book for this tank . And spent a lot of money ordering these fish on line ($250.00...yikes !!!). They were getting along very nicely. I'm hoping the others recover.

7. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, i was thinking Malawi Bloat as well, it sounds like it and it can be bad as you have already found out. what are all the foods you are feeding them??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice