Mbuna cichlid fry

SinisterCichlids

Hey guys, so since my last post, I ended up stripping my yellow lab. I now have 17 fry in a breeder box in the main tank. I only put it in about 20 minutes ago, but my other much larger cichlids are very interested it and nudging the box. I think they know there are potential threats and easy food in the breeder. I would feel more comfortable setting up a small tank since I have the room. But I was looking for advice on what to do/buy. I was considering doing a 1.5 - 5 gallon and not doing a filter since they are so small I don't want them to get sucked up. With an air pump, heater, in a bare bottom tank. Can anyone suggest any food as well? Or tell me what they do when they have fry? It's my first time and I didn't plan on breeding and especially not 17 on her first go around.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well I don't have Mbuna cichlids but I have heard good things about Aquarium coop's fry food.

Demeter

If you plan to raise the fry to a decent size then get something more like a 20gal. A plastic tote works well too. Add a sponge filter and heater and they’ll be fine with frequent water changes.

My little OB peacocks always take to food right away, crushed flakes, pellets and even whole pellets/wafers will be pecked at and eaten by them. Right now mine are eating fluval bugbites and sinking wafers. They are in a breeder box until I toss them into a 20gal.

kcopper

Your fry will be fine in the breeder box for easily a month or two and probably more. During that time, cycle a sponge filter in your main tank. Then, like others have mentioned, I would put them in a 10-20 gallon tank and transfer the sponge filter to it. I like using larger sinking foods - Demeter is right, they will just pick away at the food until it is gone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
SinisterCichlids
Replies
Views