Mbuna Cichilds

Alan0823

Reaction score
Hi, fish room I have thoughts of starting and mbuna tank and would like to know what is best to keep there pH stable and what to use is best? Cichild buffers or the Cichilds sand. Any information would be appreciated.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on what the source water is like. A good thing to use in African cichlid tanks is fish specific substrate. You should be able to find African cichlid specific gravel/sand that helps buffer the pH. If you need major adjusting then best of luck as I've no knowledge on doing such things.

I do nothing for my cichlid tank as the water is already in good shape for them. I usually advise others to find fish that suit their tap water rather than trying to change the pH and hardness for fish they want. It is much easier IMO and not so expensive this way.

OP
Alan0823

Alan0823

Reaction score
Oh I meant to put in what my water is 7.6 straight out my water source.

I don't either I've looked up how they use those buffets and still didn't get it so I think I'll go with the Cichilds sand substrate if I decide to go threw with what I want I'm picking up a 55 gallon Saturday.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just make sure the hardness is fine for Africans and you should be good to go. 7.6 isn’t terrible provided the water is on the hard size.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can use crushed coral and/or aragonite to help buffer the water, if its needed.

Do you have soft or hard water?

I just get up a 55 gallon Mbuna tank back in early July, and used Quikrete Pool Filter Sand. Our pH is steady at 7.8 and is already well buffered.

Home Depot has it for $7-$9 per 50lb bag.

You can use limestone and flagstone for decor to make caves.

Here is an example....

This is only Phase I of the rock work. I plan on getting more and rearrange them, so the Africans can have 2 tiers of rocks.

African cichlids like well filtered water and large water changes.

A quality diet is key for Mbuna.

Stick to the better brands of fish food, high in Spirulina and/or veggies. Mine devour slices of zucchinI and cucumber.

Try to avoid protein heavy foods.

Zeros

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon with regular sand in it. During each water change I put in several tablespoons are baking soda and it’s worked fantastically.

OP
Alan0823

Alan0823

Reaction score
Hi, Zeros how do you apply the baking soda to the tank?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For anyone who wants to alter pH, hardness, buffering capacity, etc, I suggest watching these 2 videos...

Jason from Prime Time Aquatics is also a biology professor. His videos have a lot of informative content.

Zeros

Reaction score
Alan0823 said:
Hi, Zeros how do you apply the baking soda to the tank?
Using a measuring spoon I add it directly to the tank. You need to test the kH the next day. I try to keep it around 100 ppm.

BobbyTez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like the look of crushed white coral and that will keep your PH just right, with black rocks and a black background I think that would look good

New Threads