Mbuna african cichlids rock

PeterFishKeepin

I would say yes, give them a rinse, but if any salt is left I would say it could be beneficial as African cichlids sometimes like salt in their water, you can buy cichlid salt products

Many actually believe cichlids evolved from saltwater fish and saltwater bodies of water

Fisharewet

I would say yes, give them a rinse, but if any salt is left I would say it could be beneficial as African cichlids sometimes like salt in their water, you can buy cichlid salt products

Many actually believe cichlids evolved from saltwater fish and saltwater bodies of water
I figured if you can use aragonite sand I can also use aragonite rock

MacZ

Chemically the rocks should be ok, I see more of a possible injury issue if it's that sharp edged coral rock. Mbuna tend to chase each other relentlessly if combined in unfortunate ways, it is not unusual for them to scrape along rocks or to even run into rocks after turning around a corner, so I would rather go for smooth surfaced rocks.

Fisharewet

Chemically the rocks should be ok, I see more of a possible injury issue if it's that sharp edged coral rock. Mbuna tend to chase each other relentlessly if combined in unfortunate ways, it is not unusual for them to scrape along rocks or to even run into rocks after turning around a corner, so I would rather go for smooth surfaced rocks.
The rocks aren't sharp

MacZ

Can you just post a picture? Because now it's becoming confusing.
Otherwise: Take your hand, put it flat on the rock and move it along the surface. If it feels like you could scrape and scratch your skin open if you do this with force, it is not good for Mbuna.

Fisharewet

Can you just post a picture? Because now it's becoming confusing.
Otherwise: Take your hand, put it flat on the rock and move it along the surface. If it feels like you could scrape and scratch your skin open if you do this with force, it is not good for Mbuna.

Attachments

• 20220716_074353.jpg
    20220716_074353.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 4

MacZ

As I thought. Very rough material with holes the fish can get stuck in. Not what you would want for a Mbuna tank. High risk of injury.

A201

I'm all for recycling used aquarium equipment & decor. I do so on a regular basis, Lol. The size & shape of the pictured rocks might not be the best for building rock piles w/ spacious caves & retreats.
The rocks do look a little rough, but ultimately it's all up to you.
Before you commit, try shopping your local rockyard or landscape company & check out other rock options. In my area most varieties of rock are sold for twenty five cents per pound.
I've decked out my tanks with 200+ pounds of rock, dirt cheap, shopping at rockyards.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Lajos
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views