Mayday!! Mayday!!!

TmacD

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello All,

I need your help! Over a week ago I finally got three gold rams after waiting a month for them to get shipped in. They and all of the fish were doing fine. The aquarium parameters were like clockwork.

ph 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nititre- 0
Nitrate- 10 ppm
I did my weekly water changed of 25% last night and everything seemed fine. I also rinsed the filter because it was getting clogged. I recently starting getting some brownish/red algea. Read up on it and was not concerned about it cause it should clear up on it's own.

I came home from work today and all Sulfury pit broken loose. One of my rams was dead, one is well on his way, and all the other fish were freaking out in my tank. Gasping for air at the surface. I didn't know what was going on.

I ran a quick water test and here's what I got:

ph - 7.8
ammonia - 0.25 ppm(I haven't seen any ammonia in my tank for months)
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm

I instinctively did a 50% water change to knock down the ammonia, as I didn't have any prime on hand. waiting 15 min, tested again....same results.

I didn't understand what was going on. I have read that in the winter that some peoples tap water parameters change significantly. I thought I wouldn't be affected due to living on the MissourI river with the same constant water source. I WAS WRONG!

I took readings on my tap water and got:
p.h - 8.4
ammonia - 1.0ppm

I ran to my car and hit petco for some prime, got home, and put a stern dose in to the tune of about 3.5 times the normal.

As stated earlier, I have never had a problem with this. I know at this point I'll have to wait it out and let the prime do it's thing, but what do I do now?

If I do the standard daily change I'll just be dumping more ammonia and raising the ph every time. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

josh40996

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
To solve the ammonia in the water, just prime the water double dose before adding it and don't feed that day and maybe just a little the day after, that should give the bacteria enough time to process it before it becomes toxic again. Also, when you rinsed the filter, you didn't rinse it in tap water did ya? Sprry you lost your rams :'(

Girlsbeforefish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Smaller more frequent water changes with Prime will help your fish adjust to the higher pH. I would continue the water changes until your tank stables. If you bacteria colony is strong enough, they will consume all your ammonia before the 24 hour immunity period ends. Prime detoxifies ammonia for 24 hours. Btw, it is recommended that you do not test your parameters for 24 hours after using Prime as it can give false results.

Your fish coming to the surface to breathe is a sign of either something is wrong with your water or your water is lacking oxygen. I would say it is your water quality. Daily small water changes should help.

I'm sorry all this is happening especially to your new rams. I know how that feels.

OP
TmacD

TmacD

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I lost the second ram this morning. The third is still hanging on. My dg, tetras, and platys seem to be doing a lot better.

I did another small water change today that had already been primed. Now it's just wait and see.

Also, I didn't rinse my filter with tap water. That's aprt of the reason I'm so dismayed.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Letting the water sit for 24 hours may help. I hope you didn t over clean that filter. Cleaning a filter can mess up the cycle. Prime states it can be used at 5 times the normal dose if needed. Add an airstone to help fish for now.

OP
TmacD

TmacD

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
psalm18.2 said:
Letting the water sit for 24 hours may help. I hope you didn t over clean that filter. Cleaning a filter can mess up the cycle. Prime states it can be used at 5 times the normal dose if needed. Add an airstone to help fish for now.
The algae had gotten up in my turbine and the water was only trickling out. I wish I had a choice in the matter. When I did clean it I had the filter media out of water for a couple of minutes. Didn't think that would have killed my bacteria colony, but apparently it must had done some damage.

GemstonePony

Well Known
Reaction score
if-you've-heard-of-it-you-probably-live-within-a-3
Experience
5 to 10 years
So sorry you lost your rams! could you please update your aquarium info? and do you know what the gph on your filter is?
You might consider getting a small filter- a) it will help your big one cope with more ammonia, and b) once your larger filter adjusts, you can use it to instantly cycle a QT any time you need it.
I hope your last Ram makes it!

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sponge filters are a great way to add to your biological filtration for cheap. You can even make your own if you wanted. Did you clean your filter in Tap water or tank water? Tap water will kill your BB.

I'm pretty sure that Prime recommends 5x the dose to deal with ammonia and nitrites. You may want to think about using safe. Safe is the powdered form of Prime and goes even farther. A 1/8th of a teaspoon will treat 25 gallons. I ordered safe online because my petco didn't carry it. Well worth it IMO. It was under $10 and I've gone through maybe 1/3 of my bottle in 4 months with 5 tanks.

Good luck with your fish, sorry about your rams!

OP
TmacD

TmacD

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It seams I made it out the other side!

Basically what happened is my tap water in my apartment went from around a ph of 7.2 and no ammonia to a ph of 8.2 and .5 ppm ammonia. I didn't know and did a 40% water change and sent my fish into ph shock, at least that's what I've deduced it was.

With the ammonia present and an out of control ph from my tap I didn't know what to do about water changes. With every change I would be introducing more ammonia and re-raising the ph of my tank.

So basically I didn't do anything. I added some prime to lock up the ammonia for a day, did a small water change with pre-treated prime water, and left it sitting there. That was monday....did a test this moring and ph is still high at 7.8 but ammonia has zeroed out again. In the clear.

Lost two rams and my third thinks she's a platy now but I guess that's better than three dead rams.

Thanks for the help everybody that chimed in.

New Threads