maybe swim bladder disease???

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I apologize for the new topic but I am having a lot of problems with my betta Lilex and I really need some help. I wish there was a 911 for fish and if there were the people knew what they were talking about. This is the greatest forum I have found for help and I really hope someone can help Lilex.

As I said in the other post this morning he was "flipping" around ... I haven't actually seen him do it but it appears he is having some balance issues. I saw him poop twice in like 30 seconds and in both I could see whole pellets. I didn't have any peas but I gave him a piece of a carrot and he did eat it. I also did a water change. I did feed him again when I fed Raspy because he was acting better but shortly after that he started up again. Now it happening more frequently.

I really wish I could help the poor guy. I am not sure if it is stressing him out but it has sure got me going. If ANYONE has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Thanks (from Lilex too!!)

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not professional infact i'm pretty much a noobie here but the balance issues sounds like a swim bladder problem or a really bad infection Tenshi my female betta started having similar problems with her balance but i almost lost her watch ur betta's color if they lose it or turn brown get, Raspy was it,in to quarintine and start treating him with bacterial stuff that cured Tenshi in a few days she actually turned brown and couldn't swim right for about 6 hrs i was really worried about her but now she is fine and harassing Inari in the bowl next to her but the whole pellets I think might indicate a digestive track problem more than constipation maybe bacteria or something Raspy's tummy. I'm sorry for him and I hope he feels better keep us posted

brent

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much figured it was swim bladder but I just didn't know what else I could be doing. Everything I've read says that the disease itself isn't dangerous (hurtful) to them but that it does stress them out so I want him stress free (and me) as soon as possible.

It is Lilex, not Raspy (although he did have constipation a month or so ago but it did not get this bad), that is ill.

I appreciate your responding to the post. I feel like a worried mother pacing outside a hospital room here except there are no professionals in my house to assure me everything will be OK. AHHHHH!!!!

Thanks again.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
its np I would look into digestive problems besides constipation too because it sounds like Lilex is having some complications with his digestive system I don't know what but I would wait for one of the Admin to help u out more.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you handfeeding him? It sounds like he is gulping his food. Sometimes if he would swallow his food whole instead of chewing a little you are going to get the results you have mentioned (whole pellets being eliminated with no sign of digestion). It could also be that he is having a small overeating problem if he is not being handfed. It does make it easy to see the exact amount they eat and how fast they are gulping it down. I feed mine a pellet at a time when i can, and make them do a little chewing in between. They do chew if they are forced to wait a few 15-20 seconds between mouthfuls.

I know sometimes it is hard to take the time, but believe me the time is worth it in more ways than one. It gives you a chance to monitor their health, and some quality time with each of them. You won't regret it, I promise.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
He won't take the food from my hand or maybe I am not doing it right.

What should I do to help him regain his balance? I read online somewhere (I think bettajunkies.com) that I should fast him for a few days. I did not give him his evening meal because I wanted to wait for some advice. Like I said, I did give him a piece of a carrot but should I try the pea?

I don't mind taking the time with him if he'll do it but he doesn't even like my hand above his tank. He won't take the food until I move my hand away.

I just want my baby boy to swim right again. I feel so incredibly bad for him! :'( :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
when i made the "newbie" mistakes with Azul and had him so constipated that he was off balance and shimmying when he swam, I took him off all his food for a couple of days except for veggies. Carrots if he likes them, but I will have to say that peas have a nutrient in them that is very good for their digestive systems. While the carrot may get him "going" again, the pea is the thing more in tune with his system A veggie fast does sound in order for a couple of days. Just don't do this very often as they are carnivores and will need their protein after a couple of days, but a couple of days will not hurt him.

Also, just a little off subject, I read an article in one of my books about "Fish Obesity" and "Fat Around the Liver" It would seem that pet store routinely overfeed their stock to make them appear "fat and healthy" The gentleman writing the book stated that most of the fish sold in petstores today come to us - OBESE and out of shape physically. The other problem is fat around the liver and there is a direct correlation between the size of your fish's meals and the incedence of the obesity and fat around the liver. As far as the withholding of food and such , I know that it is actually easier on them than a lot of meds.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, a veggie fast it is. First thing in the morning I will go and get him some peas. I hope he will eat them.

Should I feed him 1 small bit twice a day like I would have his meals?

Also, another thing I read is that to make it easier on them with their awkward swimming and floating and such it is good to lower the level of the water so they don't have to travel as far to the surface. What is your feeling on that?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a hob filter it will not be able to work if you lower the water level. But if the filter is internal I don't see a problem there.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
This tank does not currently have a filter. Yes, shame on me, I know.

I am currently unemployed and haven't been able to get him the one he needs. Hopefully I will get a job soon and that will get taken care of or maybe I'll get it for my birthday. However, I have been obsessively anal about the water changes so I know the water is clean.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then, my only concern is that the toxins will build up more quickly in a smaller volume of water. You want the water to stay as clean as possible for your sick fish.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was my thought too. Luckily, he doesn't seem to be "flipping" as much as he was ... just having a little balance difficulty. I only hope this corrects itself soon so that he can regain himself.

On the handfeeding, is there anything I can use to feed him with if he won't take it from my hand? Or should I just let him take the pellet from the water and wait 30 seconds before giving him another?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he won't handfeed you can't force it. You will just have to drop the pellets in one at a time, and make him wait for the next one.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Right. OK.

Thanks very much for your speedy responses. Even though I can't do much to help him right now, it sure makes me feel better to know there are people out there who will listen to my ramblings and comment. :)

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
divakeeks said:
Yes, that was my thought too.  Luckily, he doesn't seem to be "flipping" as much as he was ... just having a little balance difficulty.  I only hope this corrects itself soon so that he can regain himself.

On the handfeeding, is there anything I can use to feed him with if he won't take it from my hand?  Or should I just let him take the pellet from the water and wait 30 seconds before giving him another?

on the hand feeding my female refused to eat out of my hand she would look at me like" what do u expect me to do with that?" so i found a pair of tweezers that she really liked when she was playful I would put a pea squished on it and she would chace it around her bowl for about an hr until the pea paste fell off and she couldn't see it anymore

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, as long as my boys are eating I don't mind if they won't take it from my hand. I've tried with both of them and nothing doing. Ah, well.

Lilex is doing MUCH better today. He appears to be having a little trouble still with balance but he has not flipped around or been jumpy all day. *crossing fingers* I am sure he is not in the clear but we are still doing the veggie fast. He is also a lot more active today. Yesterday he was very still for most of the day because when he did move he had a lot of trouble.

He is NOT happy that Raspy gets more food than he does. I feed him his 1 piece of carrot and Raspy gets four pellets and swims around like "Oh, look at me ... I'm EATING!!" Show-off! : ;D

I did wait the 15 seconds in between pellets last night with Raspy and it was actually nice to watch him chew and stare at me wondering what was taking so long. I will definitely keep doing that because it shows me that he really doesn't chew it as fast as he thinks he does. :)

Thanks for all the help!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is kind of fun to spend the extra time with them too isn't it. And I know what you mean about watching them chew. Usually they just gulp their food if you let them. It is kind of cute to watch them chew things up and take their time eating.

Lillex will be so glad to get back to the pellets but do be careful of the first meal as that will be the one where he will try to gulp even faster as he is afraid he won't ever be fed again. You are not being a mean mommy but he will make you feel like one if you let him.

Sounds like all is fine at your house. Tell Lillex to hang in there.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any quality time I can get with my boys I cherish. I still am blown away by how much I love these fish. I remember having aquariums when I was younger and I just fed the fish and moved on. Any lull in my day is spent talking to them, singing to them or just staring at them. It's interesting how they grab your heart and don't let go!!

Lilex is definitely hanging in there. I think he is feeling better and better. I am thinking I'll do the veggie fast for 2 more days (??) and then go to pellets. That will have been 4 days on the veggies. Is that enough time to see if he's cleared?

I will be sure to watch him when he gets the pellets for the first time. I am sure he already thinks that I've abandoned his feedings which is why he "attacks" the pieces of carrot that he gets. You would think it is another fish the way he tears into it.

We've gotten over the mean mommy bit! I was a sucker to it at first but now I call the shots and they know it. They don't LIKE it ... but at least the KNOW it! ;D

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah you have to show them whose boss when i was doing full water changes, I had to take Inari and Tenshi out my hand because I have too big a net for my bowl. So I would chase them around until they wore them selves out and then transfer them well Inari got a wild idea and decided to fight back as I was trying to caught him he suddenly flipped around and bit startled me but nothing serious...but anyway I'm pretty sure he thought he could be the boss there well no true u little buger he is really wonderful tho

fyi just a random story sorry

brent

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom