Maybe Overstocked Tank

1. L

Lilian New Member Member

Hi Fishlore I recently got in this website and I recently got a 29 gallon and I'm going to get a planted tank I already did the nitrite cycle for at least a week now so are these fish Okay:
    AquStockImage.png

2. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

Only a week? did you use old media? what are your parameters? and what's your filtration?
    Anyways I would pick either khuli loaches or the cories because cories spook and out compete the loaches for food more often than not. I have had success in larger tanks but I would just pick one for a smaller tank.
    For honey gouramis make sure its two FEMALES because males don't get along. I think you could do either one male of you want.
    If you want the shrimp make sure it's densely planted with lots of hiding places, if not then there be gone in a week.
    I think everything else is fine but I'm not an expert on stocking. If you're sure you are cycled then add one school of fish every week or two and not all at once. Example: week 1 7 pencil fish, week 2 two rams, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lilian New Member Member

I have a power clear filter 30 and my parameters are fairly close to 0 and thanks for the advice I'll get 2 female honeys and I will add more hiding places for the shrimp which do you think is better kuhli loaches or the cories?

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Lil...

Cycling a tank takes a month or more. You should be testing the tank water daily for traces of nitrogen like ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove and replace one-quarter of the tank water. Do this until you have several daily tests with no traces of these forms of nitrogen. Then, remove and replace half the water a couple of times a week.

Good luck!

Old

5. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If your tanks only been running a week its not cycled. No way. Once you add the fish, especially if you add more than a few at a time, youll have serious issues. MAKE SURE that youre cycled or youll lose those shrimp for sure. Keep checking parameters. Youll see ammonia first, then a couple weeks later youll start seeing nitrites, then a couple weeks later nitrates. Once your ammonia and nitrites have dropped to 0 and youre keeping nitrates around 10-60, youre cycled and you can start adding fish.

I wouldnt do loaches and corys, theyre both bottom dwellers and there isnt enough room/food for all of them. Pick 1.

With gouramis, if youre keeping multiples then get females. Males will fight constantly.

Personally, I wouldnt keep shrimp in a tank that large with all those other fish. They have a good chance of becoming a meal.

Everything else looks okay but again, make sure youre fully cycled and then add the fish slowly. Id add smallest fish to largest because if you throw in gouramis and let them have run of the tank for a few weeks, they could be aggressive when smaller fish get tossed in. Id put in the corys as theyre going to the bottom, then a couple weeks later the tetras, then a couple weeks later the rams and so on.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Lilian New Member Member

Ok I will try to cycle for another 3 weeks thanks for all the advice

7. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Valued Member Member

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but saying your parameters are fairly close to 0 is like someone saying they're fairly close to being pregnant.

The end game is a fully-cycled tank, where ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero, and nitrates show up but are low. If you're fairly close with ammonia or nitrites, you're not cycled. It is literally zero or not zero.

Cycling usually takes four to six weeks no matter what method you use.

How are you testing your water readings?

8. OP
    OP
    L

Lilian New Member Member

I am using water test strips

9. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

First i think it depends on how much plants do you have and how often and how big water changes you will do.

Second blue german rams and gouramis in 29 gallon i don't think it is good idea plus rams like hotter water 28c degrees so first make sure water parameters for all fish are same. Plus they will go through the shrimps like nothing especially when they are in breeding mode. After all they are chiclids.
    I would do or rams or gouramis
    Then cory and then bigger school of tetras. Depending on scape maybe shrimps.

If you decide you wand penciles etc. make sure you have lid on tank.
    And last thing read warnings on that site gives you and if you dont have a lot but alot of plants go for 80-90% stock max and ask again here when you choose stock.

10. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

It might take a month it might take longer.
    You want zero ammonia and zero nitrites with some nitrates. That means it's cycled. When u stock start slow. Plants do help keep your numbers down.
    I'm still new as well but it took me 6 weeks to cycle.

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I recommend you buy the API master test kit on Amazon for about $25.00.

I agree with most of the stocking responses you got.

When i’m planning a tank stocking, I write down the species i’m considering then google through several sources, writing down temps and PH. This lets me know if they are compatible. Then if I have fish that prefer the same temps and PH, but I don’t know if they are compatible with one another i’ll Google, “are German blue rams and honey gouramis compatible?”

That question will probably take you to a thread on fishlore. I’ll read all of the responses in several threads and determine if that’s what i’m going to do.

I have a pair of honey gouramis (1m, 1f). They are great in a community with mollies, platys, guppies and corys. Tank is heavily planted but honeys are the least aggressive of all gouramis IMO.

12. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

You can’t choose how long you cycle for lol. The tank cycles however long it takes. It’s how it works, you also need to buy some Seachem Prime and dechlorinate your water/detoxify ammonia/nitrite so your fish don’t die during the process.

13. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Valued Member Member

Test strips have a pretty bad reputation for being inaccurate. The API Master Test Kit is the one most people choose. It's about 25 or 30 bucks, and will do lots of tests. The API kit will measure pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates.