Maybe just Maybe??? ( outside dirted tank take 2 )

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i was outside with jetty and i looked down my road and seen a fishtank so like anyone else my eyes lit up. So i walked down grabbed it and it had a couple old style lights inside it. Maybe i will do another outside dirted tank. The only thing that concerns me is the top rim is cracked ( but being outside has me less worried ). The measurements are 12"Wx16"Hx24"L ... Sounds like a 20 tall to me. ( haven't put the measurements in the calculator yet. What should i do? A couple native to Rhode Island Crayfish? OK sounds like a good idea u made up my mind :cool:... looks like the starter in one of the lights is missing but probably wouldn’t use them anyways

Attachments

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Charlie’s Dad said:
Very nice find if I do say so myself:;bananawater
Probably gonna end up being a strictly outside tank cause the rim is cracked... Or maybe at the end of the season i can empty it and do a small reptile :)

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Little update. Added soil and capped with PFS. Also got the solar powered air pump running an air stone. May possibly get a cheap sponge filter if I decide to try some native crayfish. Sorg67 i think you enjoyed my outside tank from last year here is take 2 I found this 20 tall on the sidewalk. The top black rim is cracked so I think it’ll go out at the end of the year.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 Thanks for tagging me to this thread. I will watch with interest.

An outside tank appeals to me. Although here in Florida, I think the winter time is the best season.

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
Maybe filling it with water then grab a pailful of pond muck and see what comes out of it? That would be cool.

But crayfish would be cool too :D
I like that idea maybe I’ll grab some and see if I can get the crayfish as well will keep u posted

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorg67 said:
kallililly1973 Thanks for tagging me to this thread. I will watch with interest.

An outside tank appeals to me. Although here in Florida, I think the winter time is the best season.
I figured you would like this.. I probably wouldn’t have done it had I not found the tank for free :)

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Excited about native crayfish! I remember catching them in a stream at a cemetery somewhere in or near Providence when I was a kid.

Given my own current experience with my new crayfish though, if it's a 20 tall you're setting yourself potential cannibalism if you do two.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
Maybe filling it with water then grab a pailful of pond muck and see what comes out of it? That would be cool.
I like this idea too. But what do you do with the critters when you are done. It is my understanding that once you keep critters in captivity, you cannot release them back to the wild. You have to keep them forever or destroy them.

I have not actually confirmed local rules on this point. Perhaps I should look into it.

In Florida in the summer time, it would be challenging to keep the tank from over-heating. I suppose you could find a shady spot. Maybe keep it close to the ground.

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorg67 said:
I like this idea too. But what do you do with the critters when you are done. It is my understanding that once you keep critters in captivity, you cannot release them back to the wild. You have to keep them forever or destroy them.

I have not actually confirmed local rules on this point. Perhaps I should look into it.

In Florida in the summer time, it would be challenging to keep the tank from over-heating. I suppose you could find a shady spot. Maybe keep it close to the ground.
I plan on keeping them . I’ll move them to one of my inside tanks.

Fishproblem said:
Excited about native crayfish! I remember catching them in a stream at a cemetery somewhere in or near Providence when I was a kid.

Given my own current experience with my new crayfish though, if it's a 20 tall you're setting yourself potential cannibalism if you do two.
Interesting. Do you remember the road the cemetery was on? Blackstone boulevard or north Main Street? I was planning on trying to catch some in slater park there r little streams in there I used to catch them years ago...

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kallililly1973 said:
I plan on keeping them . I’ll move them to one of my inside tanks.

Interesting. Do you remember the road the cemetery was on? Blackstone boulevard or north Main Street? I was planning on trying to catch some in slater park there r little streams in there I used to catch them years ago...
I was waiting for that question! I just texted my mother to see if she can clue me in. This must have been at least 15 years ago now. Super funny, I lived just up the hill off North Main by the cemetery, and my family are members of PCC - lot of time spent around Slater Park. You might actually have some luck around the banks of the ten mile river if you don't catch anything in the park.

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishproblem said:
I was waiting for that question! I just texted my mother to see if she can clue me in. This must have been at least 15 years ago now. Super funny, I lived just up the hill off North Main by the cemetery, and my family are members of PCC - lot of time spent around Slater Park. You might actually have some luck around the banks of the ten mile river if you don't catch anything in the park.
I still live in the same town I grew up in. I think you must be talking about the north main cemetery. Was it very close to a Bennys store? I think I’ll b able to find some around the slater park duck pond where the little streams are .. shouldn’t b too hard to come by.

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kallililly1973 said:
I still live in the same town I grew up in. I think you must be talking about the north main cemetery. Was it very close to a Bennys store? I think I’ll b able to find some around the slater park duck pond where the little streams are .. shouldn’t b too hard to come by.
Confirmed from mom, it was Swan Point Cemetery over by Blackstone Boulevard. Yeah, North Main cemetery is where where I lived... RIP Bennys.

Can't wait to see pics of the crayfish you find!

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishproblem said:
Confirmed from mom, it was Swan Point Cemetery over by Blackstone Boulevard. Yeah, North Main cemetery is where where I lived... RIP Bennys.

Can't wait to see pics of the crayfish you find!
Cool! I grew up over there. That cemetery has a nice little pond maybe I’ll check that out as well :)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom