Maybe it wasnt ick??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just read up on ick since my Zeus died lastnight through the night from something that LOOKED like ick but now im thinking it wasnt. He was fine yesterday morning when I left for work at 6 am. He was fed and swimming around. By 4pm yesterday afternoon he looked like he had white feathery things hanging from his body and what almost looked like out of his gills. He started losing his color and started a darting movement. I kept an eye on him and lastnight he was looking pretty listless and just sitting in his house. By this morning he was gone..... Does anyone know what this might be that killed my poor guy so rapidly????? He was the only fish in that tank but was in a spawning tank over the weekend with my females. They are showing no signs right now but of course he didnt right away either. Should i treat ASAP for ick anyways to be safe or should I just keep an eye out? I dont want to lose my girls too.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cut and paste your post above and add it onto your original thread. That way more people will see it because they're already aware of your situation.

I'm not a big fan of treating a tank medically when you don't know for sure what the issue was (or is). :console:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cut and paste your post above and add it onto your original thread. That way more people will see it because they're already aware of your situation.

I'm not a big fan of treating a tank medically when you don't know for sure what the issue was (or is). :console:
No need to make a duplicate post.
Does something need to be merged or moved?
If you post the links, I can take care of it.

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Now Poseidon is suffering the same affliction, hes not as bad as Zeus was but Im keeping a close eye. Im not up for losing him too.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive personally never had a fish die that quick from ich, although any disease can be very lethal when it affects the gills. When you moved him from the breeders tank, were you sure to acclimate him well? How close are the water parameters between the two tanks? If none of your other fish are showing any signs of disease I definitely would not treat them, meds can often be very hard on the fish's system and considering that you arent entirely sure it was in fact ich, I dont think it would be wise to expose your healthy fish to such strong chemicals. What symptoms did he have that made you think it was ich? O, and also, you said he was in your spawning tank with your femaleS, do you breed bettas often? and how did the mating go?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
http:///Columnaris.html

thats one of the best articles Ive read on both fungal infections and columnaris, a disease similar in appearance.

Would you mind answering some of my other questions? It would be helpful to know what each of your bettas are in, if you have ever kept any of them in the same tank, if you are experienced in breeding bettas, and the different parameters in the different tanks.

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I mated a pair about seven years ago but the eggs never developed and so I had no fry at all. I acclimated him back to the old tank (his single tank) but all of my tanks are set at 80 degrees and all are eqal on water parameters (I finally neutralized my .25 ammonia to zero and all betta tanks are the same ph of 6.5. After Zeus died I thoroughly cleaned the tank the plastic plants and threw out my live plants got my water parameters back in check and put Poseidon in. He died the next day, I did not change my carbon filter figuring the filter would have neutralized any fungus or disease. I was wrong because Poseidon went within 24 hours or less. Now my one female who was in the breeding tank with Zeus passed away today but did not have the symptoms or the look of "feathers" that the males did. Im at a loss I really dont know what happened and I am really concerned. I have one female remaining, and all other tanks are fine and no signs of anything strange.

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh and when I saw the white stuff I thought ich but considering all the care I took cleaning that tank it definately wasnt. I even treated the water with Betta Fix???????

OP
Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry im forgetting things you asked. The bettas were in 5 gallon filtered tanks each individual and the betta females were in together. Athena has no signs of anything either but now I am keeping an eye on her too.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no amount of filtering or cleaning will take care of a disease and many diseases are almost constantly existent in your water. Just because you kept the tank "clean" to the eye, doesnt mean your water quality was good nor does it mean a disease could not thrive in your water and continue to infect any fish inside. The only way to keep your fish from catching any disease is to keep them healthy and happy. There may be a few factors causing your fish to die so quickly, there could be cleaning chemicals in your aquarium or something might have come off your hand into the water to poison the fish. Rusting aquarium equipment could also kill them. Do you always treat your water with water conditioner before adding the water? Also bettafix can actually have some serious side affects on your betta, if you ever dose your betta on bettafix be sure to use about 3/4 to 1/2 the recommended dosage IMO. I believe there is still a sticky in the betta fish forum about a warning concerning melafix and bettafix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom