Maybe Ich, maybe not. What should I do?

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the long post...
So, I got a Kole tang a few weeks ago. I kept it in quarantine for a couple of weeks, and underestimated the importance of A longer quarantine. I thought that since the last held onto it for 2 weeks, and I kept it in quarantine for 2 weeks that it would be long enough.
When I first put it in the aquarium, there didn’t seem to be a problem. It’s very active, eating well, And seems very healthy. After a few days, there seemed to be something on its pectoral fins. A day or two later, nothing. Then again. Then a day or two later, nothing. It eats well, no flashing, no shivering, no hiding. Very active. Two of my other fish don’t have spots, lion fish, and a wrasse(I know they’re resistant). Hawkfish doesn’t have it, and I’m unsure about the puffer. Maybe on it’s pectoral fins, but even after watching for an eternity, I’m not sure because of how it’s fins flutter constantly. My question is, should I wait this out, and be sure? Or should I just risk the stress of treatment? Either tank transfer or copper. (Probably TTM), then fallow for 72-76 days.
What is the better option?
Thank you to whoever has the patience to read all of this.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Well more inform would be great. Can you get a picture?

Copper is a good choice but I wouldn’t use it in a display tank because it will stay in the rock and sand and can rear it’s ugly head at any point in time. You would never be able to have any inverts.

OP
DivingBellSpider

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, I read that copper might be bad for the lion and puffer

OP
DivingBellSpider

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
saltwater60 said:
Well more inform would be great. Can you get a picture?

Copper is a good choice but I wouldn’t use it in a display tank because it will stay in the rock and sand and can rear it’s ugly head at any point in time. You would never be able to have any inverts.
I can’t get pics because the tang flies around the tank without stopping. Plus, you can’t see anything looking at it sideways, anyway. The puffer’s pectorals are constantly fluttering, so can't see that either. Params are: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates > 5. It’s 90 gallons with about 100lbs of live rock and a small cleanup crew. I’m just worried if it’ll do more harm than good. Taking all of the LR out, catching them, doing the TTM, and keeping them in uncycled QT for more than 2 1/2 months...etc, esp when I’m not sure. Should I just wait until I’m sure?

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I’d personally wait to be sure. Only concern with marine ich is at times it can be concentrated in the gills and not very visible on the outside.

OP
DivingBellSpider

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I read about that. But the fish aren’t gasping, or staying near the surface/in the flow of the circulation pumps

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
DivingBellSpider said:
Yeah, I read about that. But the fish aren’t gasping, or staying near the surface/in the flow of the circulation pumps
That’s good then. Keep an eye out for it. Tangs are notorious for ich.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would also recommend a freshwater dip before TTM, just to provide some immediate relief and get as many parasites off from the get-go. 3 minutes is what I usually do!

OP
DivingBellSpider

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the input. I did exactly that. Started the TTM yesterday. Everyone is eating today, but it’s going to be a long ride.

New Threads