Maybe 2 Oscars, but need feedback and ideas.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have been thinking about a new tank(by thinking, i mean convincing wife to allow us to get one).

I have been thinking about getting an Oscar or two.

After doing some research(reading and watching videos), i see that most people recommend 125+ for 2 Oscars. Frankly, i think this still looks kinda cramped for some of the monsters i have seen.

In your experience is it typical for them to get to 14"+, or is that on the larger side of average?

I am aiming for a 150 gallon(larger if i can find one for the right price). But i don't want to do the bare minimum for these amazing fish.

I really like the idea of a bigger fish with a big personality, but i want them to be happy and not cramped. If you have any other suggestions for a centerpiece fish that would be happy in a 150g or larger tank, with a sand substrate and rainbow shark/peacock eel/cories as roommates i would more than open to ideas.

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
well I have two oscar's 2 pelco, 2 clown loach's they all are in a 210 gal. tank. and they all get along fine and have penty of room , the oscar's are 10in and 12in. and I have had them for 2 1/2 yr.as for tanks it up to you . if you plan on putting more fish in or not, I love the 210 my self !

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
its funny that you posted, i just found a 210g on craigslist that i am deciding on. i am building a custom stand, so i need to decide on my size before i build.

i am placing the tank where our book shelves are, so i need to build a stand that can be used as book shelves. all of my equipment(air pumps/filter/etc...) will be in the basement below the tank.

on a side note, has anyone had any experience wih the ETH inline canister heaters?

Winnie the Pooh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hydor ETH inline heaters are AWESOME. I have them on most of my tanks, and they work great. I highly recommend them to anyone with a canister. I got mine from Kens.

As far as Oscar size goes. I have heard stories of 16 to 18 inch monsters. I have never seen one that big myself. I think those are big fish stories. They will definitely grow to a foot, or a bit more. 13 or 14 inches is not unheard of. And in a 210, you should not have any problems. You could even have some tank mates with them if you wanted.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattmf1 said:
its funny that you posted, i just found a 210g on craigslist
i am placing the tank where our book shelves are, so i need to build a stand that can be used as book shelves. all of my equipment(air pumps/filter/etc...) will be in the basement below the tank.
You hopefully thought about this but if not...

Is your floor strong enough to support a 210 gallon tank (approx 2100 pounds) plus books? (Books actually load a floor a lot more than one would think.)

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes...this is accounted for in the project. i will be putting columns under the joists running to the basement foundation. i will turn these columns into shelving for general basement storage and for the filters, etc...

thanks for the follow up though, always appreciated.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom