May I Use Flourite Black & Eco-Complete Black Together? Question

1. jreinhart Member Member

Hi All. At last I am ready to change over my substrate from gravel and put plant friendly substrate in its place. I purchased two bags of Flourite Black. When they came I realized I would need 2 more bags. Accidentally I bought 2 bags of Eco-Complete Black instead.

Here’s my question. May I/is it recommended for me to combine the different substrates in my tank?

If so:
    1) Is there a recommended way for how I should do it? (I.e. literally mix them together, put all of one on the bottom and the other on top, do a bottom layer of one, two middle layers of the 2nd, and a top layer of the original?)
    2) Any other suggestions?
    My initial reaction was to return the Eco-Complete and just buy more Flourite. BUT, I planned to do this change tomorrow morning. Replacement Flourite won’t come in time and my research says Eco-Complete is also a good substrate.

Thank you all, in advance, for your help.

2. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You can mix them if you want, there isn't a whole lot of difference in my experience between these two. I would put the Flourite on top because it usually has a more uniform size and look than Eco-complete, but that is a personal taste. You could mix them but any variations in color could make your aquascape look bad.

3. jreinhart Member Member

Thank you. One of the things I liked about the Flourite is the look. I know that Eco-Complete is supposed to have extra beneficial bacteria things in it. Not trying to get into a discussion on the veracity of that but I did wonder if it has that if it should be on the bottom.

Looks like I'll use both substrates and layer them so that I have the Eco-Complete on the bottom and the Flourite on top. Thank you again! I'll have photos to share when I'm done.