May I add a Red Tailed Shark to my 55 gallon aquarium?

krack499

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love my rts probly my favorite just a heads up though they like to chase other fish just something to consider

Sent from my SM-G360V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, you have room and an appropriate size tank for them. And krack499 is correct, they do like chasing tankmates. Make sure that any future fish you stock, are done so with this in mind. Avoid slow moving or weak mannered fish that might not be able to tolerate this behavior. Mine chases my Bumblebee catfish, Rainbowfish, Lemon Tetras, and even my Kribensis. The only fish she really doesnt bother is my cories (to my knowledge) and pleco. The chasing doesnt appear to be aggressive or predatory as there is no physical attacks occurring, just the act of chasing.

krack499

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Even the more aggressive of my African cichlids get chased by it like you the only one not getting chased is my pleco

TupacShakur

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the answers guys. There is one thing I'm worried about though. My Blood Parrots love their hiding spots and they are very territorial about them, so they hang around the bottom of the tank quite often. Would this be an issue since the rts is a bottom dweller? Also, how often do your guy's sharks chase the other fish? Do you think it would stress my fish out?

krack499

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Idk anything about a blood parrot but my cichlids sound like they have similar behaviors towards their "spot" as long as there's plenty of hiding spots so they can each have their own area it should be ok my shark chased my other fish all the time when I first got it now it's not nearly as bad occasionally he goes after them but it's not very often any more

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most of the time the chasing occurs when a fish enters the sharks den, or is swimming near her, she will chase them away. But its not a 100% of the time type of thing, a lot of times they coexist just fine. I would say it happens a couple times a day where she will give chase to someone. Sometimes it is just to get them away from her den, other times she will chase back and forth across the tank a couple times. But like I said, there is never any physical attacks or fin nipping that I have seen.

I also dont know much of anything about BP so I cant speak for them with the rts. Heres an old thread about this combination you may find informative.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom