maximum float time- how long is too long?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

our lfs isn't exactly local.... nothing around here is...so its an hourish away. so they've been in the bag for about an hour and a half... they are floating now. we need to do a water change ( 20g from the 60)- can they stay floating until that is done? is it more detrimental to them one way or the other? if need to can I put them in bucket or something while drip floating them?
    thanks...

2. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Top up the bags with aquarium water and if possible to put an airstone for a few minutes in the bag fish should be fine. Only lack of oxigen can kill them

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

How different is the water in the bag from the water in the tank? This determines how long you need to mix them for.

(btw, if they're in alkaline water its not just lack of oxygen that can kill them (which it won't because they will gasp at the surface and survive) but their own ammonia can kill them).

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

As far as how long, I have fish shipped to me through priority mail, which usually takes two days. On one occasion, it took three days. These were in regular plastic fish bags (not breather bags that promote gas exchange). The fish are still very happy and alive in my tank.

As long as the fish are not producing large amounts of waste or are being jostled around a lot, they should have no problem hanging out in a bag for a little while before you get them home. Slowly acclimating them to the your tank will still be the best thing you can do. :)

5. slade Member Member

I always use drip acclimation, not just floating. Usually doubling their water volume over a 20 minute period, and if no signs of distress I'll net them and add to the tank.