Maximum Dose Of Seachem Excel In 10g Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by tjander, Apr 23, 2018.

1. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

I have a heavy planted 10g tank that has a finnex light on top. I am now running the light 5 hours a day, but non the less I am getting hair algae on my plants near the surface. I would like to try and eliminate the algae with Excel.
    What would be the maximum dosage of Excel I can use and achieve my goal. Or am I going about this problem the wrong way.

2. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

I may be incorrect, so someone please correct me if i am wrong.
    i think that the excel will cause the algae to thrive even more, and not die. they way i would approach this, and I did approach this was cover the tank with a blanket, and leave the lights off for a week. All the algae had died, so is simply scooped it up with a net, and to this day i have not seen it again. Again, i might be all wrong, but that is my experience with hair algae.

3. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I had BBA breakout recently and spot treating it with excel did help me. I dosed a little bit more than what's recommended on the back of the bottle. Careful with your livestock and your other plants though. Also the suggestion by @fishlover001 could would definitely help.

However you need to ffind the root cause of the algae breakout. Maybe an imbalance between the strength of the light and CO2 if your dosing any (pressurized).

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The max dose of Excel is whatever it says on the back for the daily dose - more than that and you can kill your fish.

Excel may not kill hair algae. Here's some info on it:

What kind of Finnex do you have?

5. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Excel is a pretty good algaecide especially with repeat doses, but anything more than the dosing instructions runs the risk of hurting fish.
    For the record, I have accidentally done a 5x dose with a betta and he survived, though he was visibly stressed.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Spot treat with a syringe or baster. Full strength. But watch that you do not over dose the aquarium. Not sure either if it works on hair. I just clip the leaves off.

7. OP
    OP
    t

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Thanks much, I have over dosed before and the only time I had any issues was with my shrimp, but I was going like 4 times. Way to much. I have pulled the light back to 4 hours a day and am dosing about 2.5 ml every day. Things are looking better I think. I have the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ light 16 inch version. Have been wanting to get the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC to put on my 55 tall but have not had the time to do it just yet. Thanks again for the help.

I really wish thing would just work right away and not take time. haha

8. TexasDomer

You can raise the Finnex fixture a few inches to help reduce the PAR. That might help your algae situation too. I have two Planted Plus fixtures, and I love them.

9. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

Agree here, When I had an algae breakout Instead of cutting time I elevated the light higher. Cause I reducing time does reduce algae but my other plants are hurting and when I tried increasing it again issue just comes back since all plants tries to adjust to the new time period when lights are on again.

10. OP
    OP
    t

I think I got into trouble when I left the light sit on to of the glass, also, I was dosing excel and flourish as prescribed and then went away for 10 days on a work trip. The combination of the light, and the lack of ferts might have allowed the algae to take hold. So far I think I might be winning as the threads are no getting any longer, though they are not going away either. I will keep an eye on it. I don't want to cut the light any less so raising it might be the next step.
    Thanks again for the advise.

11. OP
    OP
    t

Hold the presses... I just read that blue light will stimulate algae growth? Is this true? Just before I left for my work trip I added a blue light to my tank and left it on 24x7 I figured blue light really does nothing for the plants or the tank but looks good.

12. TexasDomer

I've heard blue light can help algae too. I'd turn it off - blue light isn't necessary, and I do think fish should get some total darkness.

You can manually remove the hair algae too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice