Max Number of Angelfish in a 40 Breeder?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I get my hands on my next tank (it will be a 40 breeder) I want to put some angels in it and possibly some corys.
I was wondering what the max number of angels would be. I have seen that you can do up to 5 in a 40B but that seems a little overcrowded.

I want to be doing some breeding action with them in the future so if 2 pair off will that be alright with the rest of the angels?
(I'll have a seperate tank for the breeding and growing out)

Any thoughts?

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally, I wouldn't do Angels in a 40B, It's kind of short for a tall fish. To answer your question, you could probably do 1 breeding pair. For 5 of them I would think a 75 gallon would be ok. I did 3 in a 55 once and it didn't work, 1 got bullied and the 2 that were left started out good but ended up hating each other. They get big, really tall too!

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel like this is always a touchy subject. :)

I think a pair would be fine, but not a group given the aggression between non-paired off angels. You really either need to stick with one, a pair, or at least five (75g+) to not run into issues.

Angelic

Reaction score
I have four in a 55 gallon and they have been fine for over 4 years now, also about ten other smaller fish as well

Paulz

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
When I get my hands on my next tank (it will be a 40 breeder) I want to put some angels in it and possibly some corys.
I was wondering what the max number of angels would be. I have seen that you can do up to 5 in a 40B but that seems a little overcrowded.

I want to be doing some breeding action with them in the future so if 2 pair off will that be alright with the rest of the angels?
(I'll have a seperate tank for the breeding and growing out)

Any thoughts?
Yes you seem to be right on track to keeping a maximum of 5 fish on the forty gallon tank as well as having a 20 gallon for the pair you want to breed.

New Threads