Maui Nakalele pictures!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Scoutsfish, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish Well Known Member Member

Hey guys! I got some pictures for anyone interested... My family and I are in Maui and we visited the Nakalele blowhole a couple days ago. I got a cool little video of it I'll try and upload. Also saw this super pretty Bennie or something like that.. Looks like a goby but apparently it's not haha I don't know my saltwater fish well but either way his find were super pretty:) thought if share! Also went snorkeling and saw lots of fish, some angelfish, a school of 100+ yellow tangs, so much more!! image.jpg image.jpg

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Cool! Go to Hanauma Bay on Oahu if you can, they got some nice corals and fish there! (At least they did when I was living there)

3. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

We actually went there for the first few days of our trip then flew over to Maui:) we went snorkeling there and saw lots of really cool fish! Not much coral.. Lots of sharp rocks and reef but as for colorful coral? Hardly any:( much more here in Maui:) my parents went to Oahu about 20 ish years ago and said there's not nearly as much wildlife now as there was, which is sad.

Seeing all the fish here makes owning a saltwater aquarium really tempting haha though I would want one atleast a couple hundred gallons one day maybe.. For now, I only have the time for my fresh water tanks:)

4. Dom90

Yea, I think all the tourists going there kind of ruined the natural scenery of the whole bay, and some of the corals are dying off from "outside disturbances"...

5. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I would definitely agree. It's a shame. We went on a boat to molokini and lanai and saw huge bottle nose dolphins! The crew on board had some marine biologists and she said they were bigger than usual, maybe 1500lbs instead of 1000lbs. She also said their school was bigger than usual, there were so many and some super cute babies:) the water there was very clear, atleast 30ft in some places and you could see right down to the bottom!

6. Dom90

One of these days, if I ever win the mega millions jackpot, I'm going to get me a dolphin pool :)

7. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I am with you on that!!! I've always wanted to swim with them buttt it's illegal in Hawaii... I guess that's good but at the same time I want to swim with them haha

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Cool! A school of 100+ yellow tangs? :eek:

9. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

There were sooooo many yellow tangs!!!! Giant school probably closer to 200! It not more! We got pictures but they are on the underwater camera. But yeah they were swimming all around the coral and eating stuff around it:) went on a submarine today and saw thousands more fish, some dolphins and even a few sharks!:) the dolphins started hunting in front of us and actually caught and ate a fish too. It was really cool to see.

We went to the aquarium later today as well and it made me feel bad for the fish there. They all looked so bored and I saw atleast one pacing. Back and forth frantically and another with clamped fins and fungus look on it's tail and fins. My mom felt bad too so I took the opportunity to casually suggest that my angelfish back home is sad and needs a bigger tank;) and maybe some friends haha she actually agreed so hopefully!! Keeping fingers crossed and eyes open on ksl. If I can't find anything there, petco has the dollar sale until august 8th or something. I really want like a 65g but we will see:)

10. Anders247

Nice!
    Just saying, the dollar per gallon sale only goes from 10 to 55 gallons.....

11. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I know but sometimes ksl has some nice looking 65-75g ish tanks haha I found one that looks nice today for a decent price but I'm out of town until next Saturday.. So if they still have it then, hopefully!!:) if I can't find a good one I may just do a 55g. Buttt I think Marty the angel and the other fish want atleast 65;)

12. Anders247

Lol, too true! I'd bet they'd want even bigger, too.... ;)

13. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

Muahahaha found a nice 70g on ksl comes with everything it needs and only $170. Looks brand new. If it doesn't sell bythe time I get home this next Saturday my mom said I can get it! Oh yeah oh yeah okay. Now I just have to keep fingers crossed it doesn't sell, and if it does, find another:) but either way mom was all for it!! Hmm does Marty the angel want 3 new angel friends or 5? I'm thinking 3... One male and two females?

14. Anders247

Remember to have an even amount, an odd amount can end up with them pairing up and killing the other one...

15. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

If I added three more to my existing adult male id have 4:) no worries I've been researching them and other types of fish as well:) for the 70g, these are the fish I have so far that would go into it:

1 adult male angel(want to add 3-1m 2f)
    7 harlequin rasboras(add 1-3 more)
    4 albino cories(would add maybe 4 more, not sure on how many more)
    1 male apisto
    1male dg
    8 full grown neon tetras(will have to hope angels don't get them)
    4 platies( may add another female as I have 2m and 2f)
    3 otos(would add several more)
    Handful of nerite snails

I'm hoping to add:
    Several mollies and swordtails for variety and color( maybe start with 3 of each)
    School of either cherry barbs, rummy nose tetras, black skirt tetras, or something else?(school of 8)
    Either a 3 spot gourami or a pearl gourami, not sure if I can have 3 types in the tank though.
    Possibly some kind of small pleco(has to be non plant eating, thinking a bn)
    Considering school of rainbow fish but idk if I could find them.
    Would like some oddball fish that looks cool, was thinking black knife fish, ruled that out, thought of red tailed shark, mostly ruled that out, not sure... Any ideas? Has to be non aggressive.
    Still working on what else to add and exact numbers..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice